Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity at a really good deal on an 07. On my test drive today, I got it up 55 and the Slip light started flashing and the accelerator cut out. I could push it to the floor with no response. After getting under about 20 mph, it started working again.
This is such a good deal that I don't mind putting some money into her, but how serious is this?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Not hard. About 40-50 bucks from what i see. And could might really only need the ecu reset by disconection battery and letting it sit for a while. But before you buy it make damn sure you pop the rad cap when its cool and look at the color. And ask about smod. If its been bypassed or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks B1GJ4Y. I have a friend of a friend at the local dealership that is going to take a look at it. He too said that he doubted it would be very expensive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just told by a Nissan Service Rep that it could be a Transmission Valve Problem. It was over the phone sight unseen, but I am not sure what to do now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would a transmission shop be able to tell me if it is SMOD or an electrical issue? I was assuming the low price was due to cosmetic issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. Nissan was only able to tell me that there was "no open recalls or service advisories open on this vehicle." I did also check with the seller, he said it is a new radiator. Now does that mean there was SMOD and he cleans it up leaving the current issue?? The vehicle smoothly transitioned through every gear when I was driving. Is there any other signs that would point to SMOD? The fluid in the radiator and in the transmission look good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have someone willing to look at the transmission, for free. Any specific thing to look for other than the SMOD, itself?

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
Yes he tried to catch it ,he change the rad and was hopping for the best and now the TCM is acting up and he is trying to pass it on to a non educated buyer. We see this all the time if you google it you see this is a big problem the thread starts out Help i just bought a Xterra and it has SMOD. Most people seam to first complain at high speed it feels like driving on gravel road and then its a shifting problem .It will be hard to tell what damage has been done ,all it take is a small amount of antifreeze to damage the TCM and that part along is $1500 . Antifreeze is nasty stuff, if any did get inside the trans it is dead and i would plan on spending money for new trans if you buy the truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well got down to the bottom of it. It was the dreaded SMOD.
You all can tell me you told me so. I am greatly indebted to this forum and the advice I have received. I can't help but be frustrated though. It seems like any Xterra priced under $10k in my area has had some type of major issue. I am changing my search to look for a manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
That OK we just don't want you to get burned like a lot of other nice people here . If you want a auto there are lots of good ones out there so don't let that stop you. If you buy a stick some day your going to need a a new clutch and that's not cheap ether, just check before you buy.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah good thing you didnt get it. It irritates me in a since that they have the smod. And the reason why is people like you who where uninformed buy them thinking it was something simple and get burned on it then they never wanna buy a nissan again. And nissans are good just some simple issues that turn into big problems that people often overlook. Good job asking before you bought it. And welcome to the club freind!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts