Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello was curious. I was told converting to an electric fan would give a little better gas mileage and horsepower. any one with experience is it worth it. any draw backs

·
Registered
444 Posts
I want to do it just because...I know it causes the alternator to work a little harder, which in turn creates parasitic loss...but so does turning a fan too, doesn't it? And I would think the fan has more drag than the alternator...but I have heard mixed results. Some say it helps, some say it doesn't. Either way, when I do mine, I am also dropping in a Quest alternator to give some more amperage too. IMHO, yes it will free up some ponies, and possibly better gas mileage. Will it be along the lines of a WOW moment...probably not. But if you can gain .5 mpg and then possibly gain another .5-1 mpg from converting to synthetics all around...then I say if it might help, then let it!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I want to do it just because...I know it causes the alternator to work a little harder, which in turn creates parasitic loss...but so does turning a fan too, doesn't it? And I would think the fan has more drag than the alternator...but I have heard mixed results. Some say it helps, some say it doesn't. Either way, when I do mine, I am also dropping in a Quest alternator to give some more amperage too. IMHO, yes it will free up some ponies, and possibly better gas mileage. Will it be along the lines of a WOW moment...probably not. But if you can gain .5 mpg and then possibly gain another .5-1 mpg from converting to synthetics all around...then I say if it might help, then let it!
I picked up a new alternator yesterday to prepare for this mod. One of the other benefits is the ability to have the fan on full blast while crawling and also being able to turn it off for water crossings. Seems pretty beneficial. Now I just have to figure out how to do the e fan conversion lol

·
Registered
176 Posts
TBass did an awesome writeup.. https://tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=...&share_tid=73961&share_fid=90737&share_type=t

TBass's electric fan conversion using modified stock shroud

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S
Yeah I've read that and I'm actually basing it upon it, but I don't get the basic things like what a relay is and how to properly wire everything together.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Go here...it has some good info on relays...https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...25hRusoDoNg&sig2=BEt99oh-vCQiQEZGTZywQg...and basically you will have a total of four wires from your two fans. Two grounds, and two power, unless it's a two speed, than three per fan. I am personally buying a kit so it is easier to do, but the relay basically just switches on the fans without causing a huge spike in amperage...but the wiring will go from fans to relays, from relays to temp switch/battery/cutoff switch inside the car. That is a completely basic rundown, it is more involved than that, I hope that kind of clears it up

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Go here...it has some good info on relays...https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...25hRusoDoNg&sig2=BEt99oh-vCQiQEZGTZywQg...and basically you will have a total of four wires from your two fans. Two grounds, and two power, unless it's a two speed, than three per fan. I am personally buying a kit so it is easier to do, but the relay basically just switches on the fans without causing a huge spike in amperage...but the wiring will go from fans to relays, from relays to temp switch/battery/cutoff switch inside the car. That is a completely basic rundown, it is more involved than that, I hope that kind of clears it up

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:
Thanks man, I appreciate the help. Do you do a lot of wheeling? I'm planning on it this summer and I read in TBass' thread that his set up isn't optimal for off roading because the fan controller is not in a good spot. He says he doesn't off road with his X so he doesn't have to worry about it. How do you plan to handle that?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well me personally, I would like to make watertight(ish) box to house the relays...another option would be to mount the controller and relays up near the firewall or inside the cab and just run longer wire to the fans and temp switch...I honestly think I will figure a way to do option A since running all of that wire would be a pain...lol...I'd rather build something.

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

·
Registered
444 Posts
They also make relays for wet areas if you wanted to go that route, but honestly, a little dielectric grease does very similar things...at least for the connection, not inside the relay.

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Thanks man, I appreciate the help. Do you do a lot of wheeling? I'm planning on it this summer and I read in TBass' thread that his set up isn't optimal for off roading because the fan controller is not in a good spot. He says he doesn't off road with his X so he doesn't have to worry about it. How do you plan to handle that?
If you don't have much knowledge in the way of wiring then I would suggest a temp switch kit. It will come with everything needed, including instructions, minus the fans. I have the Flex-a-lite temp switch in mine and love it. It's pricy but I've tried others and they kept burning out.

Things you will need:

temp switch kit.

radiator hose adapter

(optional but recommended) on/off switch

and then what ever fans you want to go with. you can either do 2 14" fans or 1 16" fan. You just need to make sure you have a total of at least 2500cfm on the fans.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
The biggest added bonus of having electric fans is that they are only being used when needed so when you are driving and there is sufficient air flow then you have no drag from the fans or extra drag on the alternator which in turns gives you added HP that was lost due to drag and better mpg. I got up to 3-4mpg better on highway when i did mine plus better throttle response. when you are sitting at a light and you have no airflow the fans will kick on and you will get some drag on the alt. but you're sitting in traffic and already losing mpg and hp loss is no big deal cause you're not moving anyways. if you do a lot of sitting in traffic then you won't notice much gains. when i sit in traffic i got about 1-2mpg better.

if your wallet can handle it get all the parts i recommended in my last post plus a high quality fan. cheap ones don't last. and add a alt. from a quest van. its a direct bolt on replacement. it will give you a boost amps. and add the radiator from the supercharged model. it has a dual core instead of single core. that means you get more fluid flowing and it will run a bit cooler too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you don't have much knowledge in the way of wiring then I would suggest a temp switch kit. It will come with everything needed, including instructions, minus the fans. I have the Flex-a-lite temp switch in mine and love it. It's pricy but I've tried others and they kept burning out.

Things you will need:

temp switch kit.
http://smile.amazon.com/Flex---lite-31163-Variable-Temperature/dp/B001UPYW1W/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1461690327&sr=8-8&keywords=Flex-a-lite

radiator hose adapter
http://smile.amazon.com/Flex-lite-32082-Radiator-Adapter/dp/B001UPP5GS/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1AG4J07ER5K9NMJ5E2JS

(optional but recommended) on/off switch
http://smile.amazon.com/Flex-lite-31148-Illuminated-Manual/dp/B000CNJB28/ref=pd_sim_263_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41P0Xeg-lWL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1PBHCZ17NBE6329Q7N15

and then what ever fans you want to go with. you can either do 2 14" fans or 1 16" fan. You just need to make sure you have a total of at least 2500cfm on the fans.
Thanks for the links man, they are super useful. Regarding the adapter, TBass used something like this and it quite a bit cheaper than the Flexalite one. The Flexalite switch kit comes with a 1/4" adapter so that should work fine, right?

·
Registered
176 Posts
The biggest added bonus of having electric fans is that they are only being used when needed so when you are driving and there is sufficient air flow then you have no drag from the fans or extra drag on the alternator which in turns gives you added HP that was lost due to drag and better mpg. I got up to 3-4mpg better on highway when i did mine plus better throttle response. when you are sitting at a light and you have no airflow the fans will kick on and you will get some drag on the alt. but you're sitting in traffic and already losing mpg and hp loss is no big deal cause you're not moving anyways. if you do a lot of sitting in traffic then you won't notice much gains. when i sit in traffic i got about 1-2mpg better.

if your wallet can handle it get all the parts i recommended in my last post plus a high quality fan. cheap ones don't last. and add a alt. from a quest van. its a direct bolt on replacement. it will give you a boost amps. and add the radiator from the supercharged model. it has a dual core instead of single core. that means you get more fluid flowing and it will run a bit cooler too.
This is exactly why I'm doing the mod. The goal is to get similar mileage you're getting lol.

I was planning on using the same fans that TBass used in his write up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well me personally, I would like to make watertight(ish) box to house the relays...another option would be to mount the controller and relays up near the firewall or inside the cab and just run longer wire to the fans and temp switch...I honestly think I will figure a way to do option A since running all of that wire would be a pain...lol...I'd rather build something.

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:
Yeah, I'd like to stay as close to Tbass' build so I don't complicate things and mess it up. I saw that you were thinking about using
kit.

·
Registered
444 Posts
That was a thought to get me started...I am on a major budget, so it has to be economical, and I can engineer a way to keep it safe, if you catch my drift...I do have to say the flex a lite kit is very nice though, just darn expensive

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

·
Registered
444 Posts
So as far as a box goes, Home Depot sells NEMA boxes in 3r...which is moisture resistant just windblown dust can get in, which would be plenty for what we use it for, because honestly, the relays and fuses aren't even water tight from the factory and people have been doing water crossings for some time now without too much horrible going on, asides of corrosion, as long , it can dry you should be alright...and as long as dielectric is used, it should be just fine. I got the idea from another forum where a guy was rebuilding an 87 FJ...his electrical prowess is beyond mine, but I can use his ideas...lol

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

·
Registered
176 Posts
That was a thought to get me started...I am on a major budget, so it has to be economical, and I can engineer a way to keep it safe, if you catch my drift...I do have to say the flex a lite kit is very nice though, just darn expensive

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:
I'm the same way. I have no problem paying for quality but like getting value where I can. Since part of this mod is gaining MPG keeping it cheap on the parts is essential. I'm just lucky you guys know a lot more than me. :D

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm the same way. I have no problem paying for quality but like getting value where I can. Since part of this mod is gaining MPG keeping it cheap on the parts is essential. I'm just lucky you guys know a lot more than me. :D
I am lucky my father was a mechanic for 40+ years...I have also been looking good at this one...Hayden Automotive 3651 Adjustable Thermostatic Fan Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C39C72/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_ErKixbHZR9W6N...I like the way it looks and is adjustable

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am lucky my father was a mechanic for 40+ years...I have also been looking good at this one...Hayden Automotive 3651 Adjustable Thermostatic Fan Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C39C72/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_ErKixbHZR9W6N...I like the way it looks and is adjustable

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:
Good price but damn it has some bad reviews! :D

·
Registered
444 Posts
I know...I guess I should have looked at those first...lol...I have even thought of going with a taurus or quest fan from a JY and that might free up some cash towards a quality controller...idk though...if it weren't a possible wheeling rig, I would go electromechanical. I guess maybe I should do some searching in marine areas...lol

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts