Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a fridge for some time now and finally pulled the trigger.

I've looked at both the ARB and the Engel freezer/ fridge but they are in the $750+ range. That is too much to spend right now and kept looking.

Expedition Portal had a thread about Cheap fridge $400 shipped
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23350

Read all about the EdgeStar and the reviews that these guys had on it and their experiences with the company and decided to go for it.

Here are the pics

The fridge came double boxed so it Def wouldn't get messed up in transport ( sorry no pics as my camera was at home ).

Some people have been having a few problems with the Latch not holding tight. This one is working fine

Duel voltage is pretty killer,115v AC or 12/24v DC. Now I don't need to get up to grab beers from the kitchen

Comes with 2 baskets like most of the other small fridges on the market.
The killer part of the EdgeStar is the price. $369 shipped to my door with a 2yr warranty and I might up it to 5yrs for $80.

So on to the tough part.
Do I build a slide for the fridge to come out a of the door.
The fridge would still need to come up a little to clear the wheel well. Down side is that I would have a tough time getting into the fridge if it's in the X ( not slid out ).

Or

Do I build a small platform and bolt it in one place ( quick release ) and just get into it when needed.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have one as well. Mine will most like likely be stashed in the rear hatch area. The Stadium roofing is helpful. Though the passenger seat like that would be very handy. Especially for mountain bike rides which the hitch carrier prevents access to the hatch. So I might have to rethink my idea and put it in a similar location to your pics. My major issue is I sleep in my X on camping trips and the fridge would be in the way. So I don't want any permanent type mounting so I could relocate it to the front passenger seat. I'm not really sure about sliders as well. I would keep in as low as possible at 65 pounds unloaded I'd feel it wavering.

·
3,732 Posts
Congrats. I've heard a lot of good things about those units.
Thanks for the interior pics. I've been wondering how it'd sit behind the drivers seat and now I know.
How much heat/noise do they put out?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Yep you can set the temp to whatever you want. I accidentally put it on flash freeze one night for a hour my salsa was solid, beers were super chilled. It definitely works great. It draws next to nothing for power either. I've parked the X with the fridge on for 2 hours came back and fired up like normal as if no power was drawn at all. It draws far less power then the electric coolers which are of no comparison. It has a voltage cut off so you will never get stranded with the dead battery do to the fridge. I'll never use a cooler again. It's like taking the fridge from your house and installing it in your X. You want something from the fridge its perfect not warm half perished or wet. Want a steak or fresh hamburger 4 days into a camping trip no problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have edgestar compact fridge I like it because it has all feature off full size refrigerator and it can be adjust in small space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts