Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Nissan Xterra

Earlier this year, I had a problem with unlocking the drivers door. Wouldn't unlock with the key, but the other doors would unlock, so I had to climb in through the passenger side. I would hit the unlock button (for some reason I thought that would work LOL!), and I'd hear all the other doors 'click', but the drivers door would make a grinding noise. I'd hit lock, and all the doors would 'click' locking, and hit unlock, with all doors click to unlock, but the drivers door would grind and NOT unlock. Then, I had a bright idea to try and jiggle the door about thinking maybe its an alignment issue. No, that just wore me out and shook then entire truck. So, I drove home with the drivers door not wanting to unlock. Even trying periodically during the drive. Got home (10 minute drive), and, still wouldn't unlock. I ended up rolling down the window and climbing out the window like it's a racecar lol and let me tell ya, that's a funny sight to see when a fat boy climbs out through a window he barely fits in! I did eventually get the door to unlock, and I told my wife "DON'T lock it unless you want to climb through the passenger side or the rear hatch, neither are a fun task. So, that's what we've been doing.

Now, fast forward to now, it's in the garage, waiting for me to get parts to fix it, I decided this would the perfect time to take apart the door panel and figure out what the problem is. I was able to lock and unlock the door with no problem, but I'm thinking it's only when it's warm for some reason ('kinda chilly in the garage), and I decided to take the part that is the culprit and replace it....only, I can't get the part out. My repair manual is of no help, since it says:

"1 Remove the door trim panel and plastic water shield.
2 Remove the latch retaining screws from the end of the door, then reach inside the door to release the latch from the control rods. Some models are equipped with a door stiffening brace that must be removed to allow access to the rear of the latch.
3 On models with power door locks, diconnect the electrical connector.
4 Detach the door latch and (if equipped) the door lock solenoid.
5 Installation is the reverse of removal."

Well, HOW THE HECK AM I TO REMOVE THE DANG THING?!

I've search for videos, various guides, and nothing. I'm coming up with people having issues with the rear passenger door, but not the drivers door. I can't seem to maneuver it around what seems to be the guide rail for the window. See picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's from the inside, looking at it from the side. Pretty much the only angle I can get. I wish I could separate the 2 panels of the door, that would make the whole job, and any job with the door, much easier. In the picture here, it's in that hole, looking to the left at the latch and the entire mechanism.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Went back out there with a fresh mind. Saw that I could have removed 2 more bolts to move the guide rail for the window out of my way. Would have been nice to know this.

Now for the next stupid question. Which is which? I know the latch, obviously...I'm assuming the bottom part is the solenoid that needs replaced?

EDIT -- Yeah, I just looked it up on RockAuto.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts