Nissan XTerra Forum banner

DREAM Question: Pick the best one!

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Paulsxterra4x4 
#1 ·
You have an opportunity to buy another Xterra... 3 to choose from.
This is the one you're taking into the apocalypse.
a) 2003 w/ 93k
b) 2004 w/ 88k
c) 2008 w/ 112k
*same specs on all, 2wd, auto.
Which one do you take?

This question is based on a real-life scenario. Trying to purchase my 3rd Xterra and cant decide between 1st gen or 2nd gen. If you're reading this part, thanks for reading. :)

#2 ·
Yes.

Just get all 3!

Do you mind doing your own maintenance? If not, then the timing belt interval of 105,ooo miles won't spell doom on those first two.

Within the last few days, I read about a member who has a Gen1 and a Gen2. He's gonna sell the Gen2 with fewer miles and keep his Gen1, saying it seems to be built to be more durable.

Of those 3, I'd take the 2004, but if the 2003 looks cleaner and/or has a nicer presentation inside and/or outside, I'd take that. Last choice would be the 2008.

Remember, too, that Gen2 from 2005-2009 may have suffered from SMOD. If it was never corrected, the issue could be lying dormant, ready to rear its ugly head. You'd have to check the radiator part number to be sure if it has been addressed or not.

• Wow
Reactions: uncleX
#3 ·

Which one do you take?

This question is based on a real-life scenario. Trying to purchase my 3rd Xterra and cant decide between 1st gen or 2nd gen. If you're reading this part, thanks for reading. :)
To take into the apocalypse? None of those.

For a bop around town daily driver, would go for the lowest miles/cleanest.

#8 ·
For my application, and a bug out vehicle, I want flex and the Gen1 flexes better than the Gen2 trucks. Also all the reasons BlackBerry listed above.

Wheels staying in contact with the ground, flex, is everything on the trail or when trying to get out of Dodge no matter the obstacle.

Flexy

#11 ·
Yes..... i appreciate facts! THANKS.
I'm not a mechanic and still have a lot to learn... I'm outdoorsy more than I am an offroader, but I am a HUGE Xterra fan. I've had my 02 since 08, and bought a 2007 a few years ago. I had to sell one in 2020, and decided to sell the 2007. The 4.0L engine felt great, but aside from that, the 2002 felt better in all other aspects!

As my 02 approaches 180k, I'm considering options. Thanks again!

#12 ·
a) 2003 w/ 93k
b) 2004 w/ 88k
c) 2008 w/ 112k
*same specs on all, 2wd, auto.
Which one do you take?

a my pick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.