Nissan XTerra Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Good to hear Akuria! I haven't noticed any MPG changes with mine and I've been running it a little over a month now but that little extra power is still there.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Interesting read on the "very basics" of tuned intake runner length:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question517.htm

Just thought it may be relevant information since the spacer extends the intake runner...and we hear the common response "longer runners=more torque down low".

I am still torn on the benefits of the thermal properties. Sure, the manifold itself is much cooler...but the air is travelling so fast in the intake, that I doubt the air gets heated up a measurable amount. Factor in the fact that you have hot coolant running through it and possible EGR that will heat it up...I am skeptical that the gains are caused by the thermal properties.

Don't get me wrong...the thermal barrier can't hurt! Just having the internal debate of which aspect is more important to the engine performance. I just like to know how everything works :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Rob, did you get that thing installed yet? I was angry driving home last week (part road rage, part lack of sufficient coffee, and partly wanted to kill some employees) and over about 3200 RPM's mine goes from steady climbing to throwing me back in the seat and it never did that without the IMS.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got mine installed. I noticed some power improvements but wouldn't say its a huge change. I don't think someone else driving before and after would notice a difference.

Also, I've had a metallic whooshing sound after i got mine installed that Rob thinks may be just the air rushing over the spacer but I've yet to further diagnose.

I'm wondering whether or not using a regular gasket would be a better option than the rtv. It was quite tricky to get the rtv to lay right to get a good seal with the runners being round on the outside.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
my X is still down due to a lack of a center link. Haven't installed.

I did confirm with flashbang^^^ that the spacer matched up perfectly to the upper and lower manifolds...so I won't waste time with any grinding.

I also have reached the conclusion that the benefit is likely a direct result of runner length, and not so much the thermal aspect. I don't think I will bother bypassing coolant to the manifold as I don't believe the air stays in the intake long enough to be effected by the heat.

As far as RTV vs. gaskets (I asked earlier in this thread), the only issue would be having double the sealing surfaces (upper to gasket, gasket to spacer, spacer to lower gasket, gasket to lower manifold). Just reduces the possible locations for an air leak.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did the coolant bypass and am almost done taking temp data before I install the IMS. More temp data to be taken before I start a thread with results. Still trying to determine a way to measure performance gain besides the butt dyno.

The bypass mod is easy peasy. An interesting find is the stock intake gasket provides 15 degrees of thermal protection between the lower and upper intakes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It seems more folks have purchased spacers from the information/ancedotes in this thread. I hope some of them will likewise post their experiences as well!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine is sitting on the bench. When I went to install it and found out it wasn't exactly plug 'n play other things came up. I'll have to cut and replace hoses to get it in without using excess force.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Mine is still on my bench too. My other daily driver is having some maintenance done and I haven't had the chance to get it installed yet.

I am interested in your results for the temp data and bypass MOD dd196x!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I'm still interested in dd196x's results. Mine is still running strong. I have to say that from last summer, running it stock, to this summer running with the spacer, I'm impressed with how much power is left at high speeds on the highway. In traffic on a hot NC day it seems to stay a bit cooler. Really happy with it overall.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Mines been fine for over a year now. Only draw back is the distributor can not be advanced as much as now the edge for the cap bolt bumps up against the upper plenum. Not a huge deal and i'm sure a little grinding would fix.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for bringing back a Necrothread, fiestaplatypus. I had been wondering about something like this. (The price isn't unreasonable, at all.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for bringing back a Necrothread, fiestaplatypus. I had been wondering about something like this. (The price isn't unreasonable, at all.)
No prob. I figured that there'd be a few folks who would eventually appreciate it if they went down the same rabbit hole, in reading old performance mod suggestion threads. At that price, I'm willing to take a gamble on the slight performance boost.

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
501 Posts
No prob. I figured that there'd be a few folks who would eventually appreciate it if they went down the same rabbit hole, in reading old performance mod suggestion threads. At that price, I'm willing to take a gamble on the slight performance boost.
Please share your findings. I like the idea of a little more grunt at the bottom end, but I'm sure the stated purpose is probably its greatest contribution, to reduce heat soak. I'm toying with the idea of removing my intake to service the hidden hoses, and that would be the ideal time to add a spacer.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
939 Posts
An intake manifold spacer is a great idea if you’ve got extra cash that needs to be spent and you’re not worried about gaining any power and more than anything you’d like your EGR tube and a couple hoses in back to be too short.

my two cents

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
501 Posts
An intake manifold spacer is a great idea if you’ve got extra cash that needs to be spent and you’re not worried about gaining any power and more than anything you’d like your EGR tube and a couple hoses in back to be too short.

my two cents
Good input, sir, thank you! My other car has no EGR, and the other various tubes and hoses that Nissan decided to route through the middle of the engine also don't exist, so I have to be reminded every now and then about doing anything to the X.

I will say this, though. IF I take the intake off, regardless of whether I add an IMS or not, those tubes are gonna get re-routed for sure!

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
939 Posts
Some people I think skip the hoses all together. I think this doesn’t send any coolant thru the thermal element that rarely works right anyway. I’ve got a Japanese throttle body on mine so the thermal element still works perfect

81 - 99 of 99 Posts