Nissan XTerra Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes in fact I believe it was on a thread here on CX that someone mentioned they had a vacuum leak until they had retightened the bolts. I'm trying to find it for you.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
So I torqued the bolts down more and it runs good again. Then I proceeded to put the spacer back in and double checked the torque on the bolts and it won't stay started. I then took it back out again and runs just fine again. I'm completely stumped.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
So I torqued the bolts down more and it runs good again. Then I proceeded to put the spacer back in and double checked the torque on the bolts and it won't stay started. I then took it back out again and runs just fine again. I'm completely stumped.
Just a question because I did not have any issues at all but I did see where some problems could arise. Did you use gaskets or the RTV sealant? Also can you see any pinched vacuum lines? This one might be a stretch but, do you have any worn vacuum lines that maybe when the spacer is in and stretching everything it is opening up some sort of a hole? I also don't know how much of a difference this really makes with our xterra's but did you unplug the battery before you installed it to "reset" the computer? Hopefully you can get it sorted out, it's definitely a mod thats worth doing.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
That was the first thing i thought of when it was happening and I have double checked all my hoses. most of my hoses are brand new as well. i have been slowly replacing all my hoses the last few months. at nearly 200k on the odometer it was time to replace hoses.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
That sucks man. I know the feeling on the hoses which is why it was my first thought. I have two power steering fluid hoses that are leaking everywhere and I've been too busy to get to it. I hope it all works out for you. The guys at Acadiana had great customer service when I had questions before I bought it and it looks like they are helping you as well. If you have any questions for me feel free to ask as mine is still working great.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Thanks billyh. yeah Acadiana is sending me a new one in hopes that maybe there is a defect in the spacer that i got. super nice guy. props to Acadiana for awesome customer service. god only knows that all too many of our aftermarket companies suck in that respect like Calmini.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
The first thing I would check is if you used enough RTV to make a good seal? it shouldn't take much, of course.

Basically...it runs normal once you return to stock with torqued bolts...but it won't stay running with the spacer in. Nothing electrical is left unplugged, since you don't have a CEL. It has to be a mechanical vac leak is what my thought is. Even if the spacer is warped or something....the RTV should be able to seal it up unless it is severely warped, but even then, you could probably tell visually.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I did a good dose of rtv with full coverage. I've had experience with bad seals using a liquid gasket on oil pans in the past.

When the new one comes in I'll do a series of pics of the process incase it happens again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Akuria I hear ya on the poor service of aftermarket companies. I got my shackles and IAB from calmini...2-1/2 months later after calling them daily. I even called before I placed the order to make sure they had them. I wonder if you have any other mods that would interfere? I know it's a long shot but unless it's severely warped like Rob said I don't know how it would be the spacer. Rob have you installed yours yet?

·
Registered
42 Posts
This would be the first instance of a warped spacer we would have had in over 3 years of offering them, but anything is possible, and I'd rather eliminate the product being an issue, than force him to deal with everything but the product first.

Strange - I had no idea Calmini was so miserable to deal with, they had the super slick salesman routine going on pretty good over at their booth during SEMA.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I haven't installed mine yet. My X is not driveable as I am still waiting on my steering kit build from PPEngineering.

I wanted to get my steering on so I could drive some before, so I can better compare after. I also plan on bypassing the coolant to the throttle body and manifolds and checking to see if port matching is a possibility to improve the flow.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
QUESTION:

Old thread from Zach here:

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24002&highlight=intake+manifold+spacer&page=9

Has anyone confirmed that these work with EGR? Looks like a few years ago a Frontier driver could not install the spacer due to the EGR tube being too short. Has this been installed on an Xterra with EGR? Do we know for certain that it will work?

If not...I will find out...maybe this weekend.
I haven't installed mine yet. My X is not driveable as I am still waiting on my steering kit build from PPEngineering.

I wanted to get my steering on so I could drive some before, so I can better compare after. I also plan on bypassing the coolant to the throttle body and manifolds and checking to see if port matching is a possibility to improve the flow.
From what I understand and from what Zac has told me, is that the EGR tube on the Xterra is more forgiving than those on the Frontiers. I don't know if that is because of material, shape or location. My X doesn't have EGR so it wasn't an issue. Also, did PPEngingeering release that steering kit yet? They offered me to beta test for them but I had to turn it down due to work and not having time to go wheel it and give them real feedback. My steering is so sloppy its stupid. Shocks and steering rebuild are next up in my mods list. (Pretty sure I just hijacked my own thread haha)

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
From what I understand and from what Zac has told me, is that the EGR tube on the Xterra is more forgiving than those on the Frontiers. I don't know if that is because of material, shape or location. My X doesn't have EGR so it wasn't an issue. Also, did PPEngingeering release that steering kit yet? They offered me to beta test for them but I had to turn it down due to work and not having time to go wheel it and give them real feedback. My steering is so sloppy its stupid. Shocks and steering rebuild are next up in my mods list. (Pretty sure I just hijacked my own thread haha)
Either way...I don't mind cutting my EGR, so I will make it fit!

PP has not released the steering kit...they have had my parts for about 6 weeks now and are still developing. They are boxing my idler and pitman arms, which they have completed. They were having trouble sourcing a bearing that fit in the center link the way they want it to, so they are sending me an OEM center link with the boxed arms as a temporary measure to get my truck on the road while they decide which direction to go on the centerlink.

Their center link is a bit different from grass roots. They were trying to find a bearing that fit in the stock socket that the ball joint was in...where as grass roots cuts it off, and welds a steel sleeve in its place. They also welded up a double shear bracket on the center link itself (similar to how the king kong steering kit is from total chaos fabrication). This is different from how some people use grass roots center link and add double shear brackets on the idler and pitman arms. With their type of set up, the kit is more modular...a stock center link still can be substituted in if theirs breaks...and same with idler and pitman arms. If there were any failed part, you could replace it with a single stock component and not have to revert the entire system back to stock.

My arms and OEM center link should be here tomorrow...so hopefully I can get my truck driving around. When I get the full kit installed, I will be doing a full review. I may tackle the IMS and port matching this weekend too!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Either way...I don't mind cutting my EGR, so I will make it fit!

PP has not released the steering kit...they have had my parts for about 6 weeks now and are still developing. They are boxing my idler and pitman arms, which they have completed. They were having trouble sourcing a bearing that fit in the center link the way they want it to, so they are sending me an OEM center link with the boxed arms as a temporary measure to get my truck on the road while they decide which direction to go on the centerlink.

Their center link is a bit different from grass roots. They were trying to find a bearing that fit in the stock socket that the ball joint was in...where as grass roots cuts it off, and welds a steel sleeve in its place. They also welded up a double shear bracket on the center link itself (similar to how the king kong steering kit is from total chaos fabrication). This is different from how some people use grass roots center link and add double shear brackets on the idler and pitman arms. With their type of set up, the kit is more modular...a stock center link still can be substituted in if theirs breaks...and same with idler and pitman arms. If there were any failed part, you could replace it with a single stock component and not have to revert the entire system back to stock.

My arms and OEM center link should be here tomorrow...so hopefully I can get my truck driving around. When I get the full kit installed, I will be doing a full review. I may tackle the IMS and port matching this weekend too!
Nice! Let us know how that steering kit turns out. They asked me about testing the heim tie-ends not that whole kit like you are doing but I like the idea of a more modular design and being able to swap out with stock if need be but if the price gets crazy then I may stick to just doing the grassroots link. Good luck with the IMS, I'm interested to see how (if there is any) port matching turns out.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
OK so a little update. I got the replacement spacer, HUGE thanks to acadia, and installed the new spacer. Everything works perfect. to just test my curiousity I took out the good working spacer and put in the old spacer again and it started running like a pig again. then took it out and put in the new spacer and it runs like a champ again. i dont think the old space is warped. I work with plastics and acrylics at work all day and it doesnt look warpped to me. the only thing i can think of is that there is a small hairline crack in it somewhere and its just enough to cause the vacuum to go down at idle.

So. after installing the spacer i did notice an improvement in acceleration especially at high speeds. will report back on mpg changes later.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
oh and i do have the EGR system on my X and I had no issues with it.
Rock on, Akuria! Great feedback. I am caught up in a drum brake re-build at the moment so won't be getting to the spacer for a while. I want to take some time with the spacer, inspect for port matching opportunities, and bypass the coolant to the throttle body and the upper intake plenum.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts