Nissan XTerra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Ordered! Now to get all my valve cover crap in order...
Definitely worth doing while you have it off. Knock sensors issues, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets are so much easier when you know the end result is a nice little mod going in and more power.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks guys! I am gonna leave it open through tomorrow just so the guys who have wives to answer to can get their orders in! LOL
LOL trying to get mine to agree to some steering upgrades :) aka grassroots centerlink and rebuilding the whole damn set-up!

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Thanks for the extra day...I was feeling sick the last couple of days and accidentally fell asleep at 8 and woke up sad knowing I would have to buy it at full price :(

Ordered one now!

·
Registered
42 Posts
No worries. I am excited to see how all of you like the mod. Hopefully, if you are part of any other Xterra/Pathy forums or FB groups, that you guys can share your experiences there as well!

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Is it too late to order? I was out of town over the weekend and want to order it today.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow! Placed my order 2/28 and it's here today! It won't go in for a while, I'm going to get some temperature readings with an infrared thermometer before and after and find a way to quantify any performance gains besides my butt dyno.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Wow! Placed my order 2/28 and it's here today! It won't go in for a while, I'm going to get some temperature readings with an infrared thermometer before and after and find a way to quantify any performance gains besides my butt dyno.
Very nice! I would be interested to see what you come up with. I placed my order yesterday...so maybe tomorrow or Wednesday :)

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Got mine yesterday...looks good! Question: Any reason to go with the gasket maker material vs. just buying 2 extra manifold gasket?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The main issue I worry about when stacking gaskets is this

With the RTV - your diagram of sealing surfaces is as follows:
Upper Plenum -> Spacer -> Lower Intake

With stacked gaskets it becomes:
Upper Intake -> Gasket -> Spacer -> Gasket - Lower Intake

So with double the face to face sealing points, your risk of having some sort of leak goes up. Now, people have stacked gaskets without issue - but we use RTV and have had no issues.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Good point...thanks for the insight!

Here is an interesting thread I dug up...I had considered making an IMS myself a couple years ago...one of those projects/ideas/mods that I just never got around to. Some interesting ideas and heat transfer analysis explained too...

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38801

Anyone recommend bypassing coolant lines to manifold and throttle body in conjunction with an IMS? Any reason to?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I'm excited to hear what you guys think about the IMS. I am still really happy with it. I think what I like most is the drivability on the highway. I do about 40 miles one way for work and I don't lose nearly as much power and when I need to pick up speed again it's not a problem anymore.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm excited that you guys have been happy with the product. I always enjoy hearing from people that we've made something that helps them enjoy and appreciate their vehicle more!

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I'm excited that you guys have been happy with the product. I always enjoy hearing from people that we've made something that helps them enjoy and appreciate their vehicle more!

One question for you...did you match your spacer profile to the intake gasket, the lower manifold runners, or the upper manifold runners?

Just curious because I have read other comments regarding port matching and that the lower manifold runners are usually larger than the upper manifold. Ideally, we would want the lower manifold runner to match the spacer and the upper manifold runners so it creates a seamless transition.

Curious if further improvements could be made by grinding out either of the manifold runners to match up to the spacer better? I haven't had a chance to take it apart and check it out yet

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
So I went to do my IMS and after I put it in it would start but wouldn't stay running. It would die like 5 seconds after starting. I couldn't figure it out so I took the spacer out and put it back to stock and it started and stays running but now it idles like a pig. At idle it sputters and the rpms bounceup and down. I can rev it just fine and it runs smooth with any amount of revs. but it goes back to idle it runs real sluggish again. I can't figure out what's going on. Help please?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rob - the spacer ports are modeled after the gasket - however, people have been known to bolt them to the lower, or bolt them to the uppers, and port match according to how they choose. (Some folks rather port to the upper, some to the lower - obviously I wouldnt grind on the lower while it was still on the motor! LOL)

Akuria - I'd bet you are experiencing a vacuum leak. Did you follow FSM procedure for fastening the bolts in terms of torque-spec and pattern by chance? A few other folks mentioned that they hadn't quite tightened down the bolts.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Akuria - I'd bet you are experiencing a vacuum leak. Did you follow FSM procedure for fastening the bolts in terms of torque-spec and pattern by chance? A few other folks mentioned that they hadn't quite tightened down the bolts.
Did they experience similar issues?

41 - 60 of 99 Posts