Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I've heard a lot of chatter around here but nothing really confirmed as far as results or installation.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard a lot of chatter around here but nothing really confirmed as far as results or installation.
Do you think it would be worth trying? Or is this a pipe dream with a ton of headaches

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been running one for about a year now without any problems at all. It was a pain to get installed but I feel like it is worth it for the price if you've got the money. I just loosened everything up and slid it in so it was a tight fit. The only issue I had with it is the fifth spark plug boot doesn't sit on the holder after installing the IMS so it sits down a few inches lower than it normally would. I definitely feel a little more power in the midrange. I'm not sure how well this would work if it is the only mod you have but it seems to work well with other mods such as catback, IMS, CAI, resonator removal, and headers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been running one for about a year now without any problems at all. It was a pain to get installed but I feel like it is worth it for the price if you've got the money. I just loosened everything up and slid it in so it was a tight fit. The only issue I had with it is the fifth spark plug boot doesn't sit on the holder after installing the IMS so it sits down a few inches lower than it normally would. I definitely feel a little more power in the midrange. I'm not sure how well this would work if it is the only mod you have but it seems to work well with other mods such as catback, IMS, CAI, resonator removal, and headers.
XterraFox, you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of it installed or the install process would you? It says you need to bend the EGR tube. Did you have any issues with that? I do have a K&N intake, jet TBS and some other small upgrades but no exhaust yet. I've been neglecting my exhaust because before I bought it last year the dealer put a new one on so i figure I'll try and get my money's worth out of it. Like I said If you have any pics or other advice on it that would be awesome, especially because my modding habit/addiction really wants to pull the trigger on this haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
XterraFox, you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of it installed or the install process would you? It says you need to bend the EGR tube. Did you have any issues with that? I do have a K&N intake, jet TBS and some other small upgrades but no exhaust yet. I've been neglecting my exhaust because before I bought it last year the dealer put a new one on so i figure I'll try and get my money's worth out of it. Like I said If you have any pics or other advice on it that would be awesome, especially because my modding habit/addiction really wants to pull the trigger on this haha
I didn't take any pictures but I've found the thread that I used to do mine. It has lots of info and plenty of pictures. My truck doesn't have EGR so that was not an issue. I will say that it's a pretty tight fit if you try to install it like I did when I followed the instructions in the thread I attached but it is definitely doable, it just takes some time. haha. I understand, I love modding my X so finding this thread is what made me pull the trigger on the IMS. Hope this helps. http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31356

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't take any pictures but I've found the thread that I used to do mine. It has lots of info and plenty of pictures. My truck doesn't have EGR so that was not an issue. I will say that it's a pretty tight fit if you try to install it like I did when I followed the instructions in the thread I attached but it is definitely doable, it just takes some time. haha. I understand, I love modding my X so finding this thread is what made me pull the trigger on the IMS. Hope this helps. http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31356
Thanks for the help man! Will probably be buying one in the next week or so and giving it a shot.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just ordered an IMS from Acadiana Sports Car Orphanage (acadianasportscars.com) Really good service and they were willing to talk to me about any issues or concerns. When I get it in, I'll do a thread on the install and any performance gains I notice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got a chance to spend some time emailing back and forth with Billy earlier today - he alerted me to this thread, so figured I'd come back and post.

As far as our Single Slammer VG Intake Spacer - you're likely not to notice maybe a few hp at the absolute most - however, there are at least a couple of other benefits to the Intake Spacer

1. - Although not as much a benefit for you guys as it is for the Z31/S12/M30 guys, the lower intake gets extremely warm and passes off this heat to the upper plenum/intake assembly. With the spacer, we've been able to show temperature drops of up to 80*F on the bigger intake plenums. What that means is - less loss of power.

For instance, on a Z31 Turbo test car - we did 3 dyno pulls twice - once before the spacer install, once after. Before the spacer, the peak hp dropped dropped from 190, to 183, to 177 on the 3rd pull. With the spacer, we had consistent 190hp pulls on those 3 attempts. (for those of you who mentioned that you felt more power on the Interstate, I have a feeling the spacer was simply preventing you from losing power you already had!)

2. - By lengthening the runners with the spacer, you will experience a very slight torque increase (2-3 lb/ft at most), but we have noticed the powerband shifts about 400-500rpm lower. For you rockcrawler guys, I could see this being a benefit. The Z31 guys are split on this - for the ones that have a problem with it, they make other adjustments accordingly.

We sell our intake spacers for a really reasonable price - I think some companies had been known to sell TBS's for more than our intake spacers. So we try to offer some bang for the buck with it.

If you guys have any questions, please feel free to hit me up. I realize that there was a misconception that we had discontinued the spacer - but our company focuses more on the sports car applications of the VG performance parts we develop and offer just by nature of our name. Also, when Joe shut down All Things Z, I did not follow up over here to let you guys know that we still offered the spacers - and I apologize for that.

So if you're looking to grab a spacer, you can find it on our site under Intake => Z31 Chassis.

Thanks!
Zachary Ard
Acadiana Sports Car Orphanage

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Good info. I have also long been curious about the IMS. I am interested to hear Billy's feedback!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys I got the IMS installed today along with my drivers side valve cover gasket. I should be throwing up the install thread later in the week. I took a lot of pictures but I realized I missed taking pics of some important stuff, so I will fill in the blanks where I can. Took it out for a little test drive today and I will say the throttle response is significantly better. I also noticed going down the highway that my engine temp gauge stayed just below 50% which it's never done that not even in the dead of winter. Low-end power is a bit better, mid-range you can feel when you're getting on the highway. No more 3 mile run to get to highway speed. I'll have more info from the a$$ dyno as I drive it back and forth from work this week. I'll also check the MPG. Let me know if you guys have any questions!

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Hey guys I got the IMS installed today along with my drivers side valve cover gasket. I should be throwing up the install thread later in the week. I took a lot of pictures but I realized I missed taking pics of some important stuff, so I will fill in the blanks where I can. Took it out for a little test drive today and I will say the throttle response is significantly better. I also noticed going down the highway that my engine temp gauge stayed just below 50% which it's never done that not even in the dead of winter. Low-end power is a bit better, mid-range you can feel when you're getting on the highway. No more 3 mile run to get to highway speed. I'll have more info from the a$$ dyno as I drive it back and forth from work this week. I'll also check the MPG. Let me know if you guys have any questions!
Awesome news! I am interested to see the install thread and also excited to to finally hear an actual review from someone that installed one. I had seen the spacer on arcadians website a year or so ago...but never took the leap given that there was no real information out there. It may be my next MOD...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome news! I am interested to see the install thread and also excited to to finally hear an actual review from someone that installed one. I had seen the spacer on arcadians website a year or so ago...but never took the leap given that there was no real information out there. It may be my next MOD...
So far so good. Got to work and definitely noticed some differences. I drive around 60+ miles a day for work, mostly highway with some decent hills thrown in there. I'm excited to see the MPG results if any but it is definitely a bit easier to get up to speed and picking up while cruising at highway speed is absolutely improved. I'll see how the rest of the week goes and let everyone know.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys last week at work was crazy and I haven't had a chance to do the install thread but it should be up this week at some point. So far I can say the power increase is worth it. I would absolutely do this mod again. Nothing that I've noticed in the way of MPG's, then again I would need to find them first to improve them!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Once you post up your how-to billy, be sure to let me know. I would consider doing a GB for the spacers for any of the CX guys who might be interested.
Will do. I'm slacking on the install thread. Between work being insane last week and my fiancé getting in a wreck last Friday, I've been really busy. I would like to have it up this week. BTW I cannot believe how much cooler it keeps the motor. I stay a good needle to needle and a half cooler than before. I'll shoot you an e-mail or PM when I do the thread.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts