Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2003 and though I've read and know about the second generation guys bypassing the radiator cooler for their transmission lines, I've not been able to find anything specific on the first generations needing it.

My new SE has 146K miles and shifts and runs great. But I would love to ensure I don't end up with a bad transmission from coolant damage.

Hopefully someone can clarify if I need to do the bypass.

Thanks.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Just purchased a 2003 and though I've read and know about the second generation guys bypassing the radiator cooler for their transmission lines, I've not been able to find anything specific on the first generations needing it.

My new SE has 146K miles and shifts and runs great. But I would love to ensure I don't end up with a bad transmission from coolant damage.

Hopefully someone can clarify if I need to do the bypass.

Thanks.
No sir first gens do not need a transmission cooler. Transmissions on the first gens are solid! The problem didn't start until 2005. Your rig will be fine!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. So can you tell me why the second generation had problems and the first gen didn't. Seems to me the oil cooler lines on both still go through the radiators.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Ok thanks. So can you tell me why the second generation had problems and the first gen didn't. Seems to me the oil cooler lines on both still go through the radiators.
I believe...but don't quote me on this...it had something to do with the design and manufacturer of the 2nd gen radiators. The transmission lines over time wil start leaking from poor manufacturing....maybe someone else can chime in and give better info but I think thats it...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nissan's lack of transparency ensured there was never a fully understood answer to this problem. They changed the design of the radiator, and also switched fluids (leading some to believe that the type of OEM fluid that was used during those years may have contributed to the problem). They did extend the drivetrain warranty on models of those affected years, but there was never an explanation of exactly what was went wrong.

The upside is that 2010 or later model has reported the issue on thenewx.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts