Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, just trying to decide between DIY intake mod or intake kit. What are the positives and negatives of each? If intake kit is better, which one is better to go for? K&N or other?

Any replies are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
783 Posts
hmmm doing some research, seems like maybe DIY one might be better and spending the money on a better muffler? thoughts?
Performance wise you really aren't gaining anything from spending all the money on a kit. You get the same results from the DIY one and a better muffler would be more worth the money in my opinion but hey that's just me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Save your money and do the DIY intake mod. Having owned several different V8s (5.0, LT1, TBI, L98, Vortec), I'm certain all that $$$ you spend on a CAI isn't going to give you tree stump pulling horsepower or low ETs at the dragstrip.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Nismo sounds a bit Ricer like but its up to you. A lot of people go flow master or magna flow

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've been happy with my Gibson, but it's a little understated if you want louder I'd go with nismo or flowmaster. As far as the KnN, I wish I had known of the DIY before I spent the money on it...

·
Registered
574 Posts
i made my own cold air intake. It working great so far, really deep sound and definite power and torque increases. I did it for about 40 dollars from pepboys, and its a quality intake...id recommend that

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was wondering the same thing and this has sealed the deal for me. I'll be doing the DIY CAI mod next weekend.....

·
Registered
717 Posts
The problem with most of the aftermarket CAIs is that the filter is exposed. Anything that can get into the engine bay can get to that filter(ie. water, mud, snow, etc.) if you go with an aftermarket, I'd go with the Volant, because it is enclosed. The intake mod is probably just as good though. I didn't notice any different between the Volant and the DIY. For you to get a little more benefit out of it, due to the increased air flow, you could also do a muffler swap.

·
Registered
341 Posts
i made my own cold air intake. It working great so far, really deep sound and definite power and torque increases. I did it for about 40 dollars from pepboys, and its a quality intake...id recommend that
Let's see some pics!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Check out my diy i wrote up a how to for it, i dont think anyone posted it in the list of how to's tho

1 - 15 of 15 Posts