Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo I might regret my investment in a 2005 Nissan X in the next week, I recently purchased one 3 days ago with 143k, I heard about the SMOD yesterday so I checked it out, underneath my radiator plug there is a slight grey looking goop, so I know about the bypass switch I plan on doing that and adding a external cooler, and of course I'm flushing both systems. Soo since I'm new here is this the proper approach or not.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
660 Posts
Yes. Do a bypass immediately and do a thorough flush of the transmission. These things usually do not survive this but we’re all hoping your x is ok

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may have caught it early, however I believe I might beanle to save it however it seems like I won't be able to put in an external cooler due to the fact that my transmission cooler has a fan type, would bypassing and overnighting a new aftermarket radiator would be best

·
Registered
660 Posts
Here plenty of trucks bypass the radiator and just use the other cooler as long as you don’t tow or do any off road. You could drive it like that for a couple weeks and see if it shifts correctly and doesn’t have other issues. Probably no need to pay overnight costs if no one has one local

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L V6
151 Posts
Step 1: Get that watery fluid out of the transmission ASAP!
Step 2: Don't connect the trans cooler lines to the radiator.
Step 3: Add an external cooler with a fan. My '01 has a lot of room behind the right side of the bumper and yours probably does, too. Extend the cooler lines from near the rad to the new location (wherever you decide). Adding it to a location that isn't in front of the AC and radiator means that they don't have to deal with the added heat.
Step 4: Consider adding another non-fan cooler to the new one in #3 to ensure that you have enough cooling capacity. Stack them, one behind the other. (This is the route I plan to take in the next month.)
Step 5: Replace the rad so none of the coolant leaks out through the failed trans cooler inside the lower tank. (Alternately, plug the cooler lines on the rad, or run a hose from one nipple to the other, effectively preventing any coolant leaks. Not as pretty and not as good a fix as a replacement rad, but in a pinch it'll work.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here plenty of trucks bypass the radiator and just use the other cooler as long as you don’t tow or do any off road. You could drive it like that for a couple weeks and see if it shifts correctly and doesn’t have other issues. Probably no need to pay overnight costs if no one has one local
How do we not sign a petition to make Nissan fix this issue!

·
Registered
660 Posts
if I recall there was a class action suit and some sort of settlement. There was a warranty extension on affected vehicles allowing up to 10 years/100,000 mike coverage for all related repairs but there was a copay in some instances. Not sure that I would necessarily consider this a “win” for consumers. Hard to imagine them recalling all of the radiators would be cheaper than fixing some of the transmissions but whatever the case, I think this case is considered closed

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am so happy my 2004 and my 2000 don't have this - 2000 is hard to get into D but does start off in 1ST - then 2ND then D after driving 1000 ft. I can't fix it but I hope it does this for a long time :)

·
Registered
2001 Nissan xterra pml 31s
12 Posts
Soo I might regret my investment in a 2005 Nissan X in the next week, I recently purchased one 3 days ago with 143k, I heard about the SMOD yesterday so I checked it out, underneath my radiator plug there is a slight grey looking goop, so I know about the bypass switch I plan on doing that and adding a external
Soo I might regret my investment in a 2005 Nissan X in the next week, I recently purchased one 3 days ago with 143k, I heard about the SMOD yesterday so I checked it out, underneath my radiator plug there is a slight grey looking goop, so I know about the bypass switch I plan on doing that and adding a external cooler, and of course I'm flushing both systems. Soo since I'm new here is this the proper approach or not.
I would replace the radiator, flush the cooling system and flush the transmission.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts