Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Deep snow/ winter tires

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ryguy 
#1 ·
Hey yall!
I have a 2006 xterra with standard wheeles and am looking to get some beefcake snow tires. Ill be living in Telluride so I will be acessing many snowy mountain passes! Should I go with something with the mountain snowflake symbol? It would be cool if I could use the offroading in the spring as well but snow performance is most important to me. I have read that the silent armors are pretty good? Along with siping the mt+II?
Im pretty nieve when it comes to things with motors. Oh and no studs! Please help!:rocker-big:

#2 ·
Since you want to run these year round, that eliminates dedicated snow tires (which is fine). I would look at the Goodyear Duratrac- awesome offroad tire, awesome in snow (deep and packed/ice), has the snowflake. You can't really go more mud tire oriented without sacrificing packed now/ice traction. Also check out the Bf Goodrich At KO- less aggressive than the duratrac in mud and deep snow, but it will last a lot longer. I run these and go skiing a lot- they are amazing. I've got 7k on mine and they haven't started wearing. Snow and ice traction is amazing. They'll be not as good in mud though. Other tires with the snowflake are General Grabber ATs and Nitto Terra Grapplers, but in my opinion, either of the first two I mentioned are going to be great. Duratrac with better traction in deep stuff but the BFGs have been known to go 80k+

#3 · (Edited)
wrangler duratrac's... definitely what you're looking for... or the BFG AT/KO's. I've owned both and love both of them

When I lived in Colorado I had the BFG AT/KO's and never had an issue in snow. I would drive loveland pass and berthoud pass regularly. I also got 80K out of mine....

I have the Duratracs now and I'm super impressed. I'd say just as good if not better than the BFG's, I think I like the Duratracs more... Stick with one of those and you'll have no problems.

#5 ·
Wouldn't change mine at all. You'd be hard pressed to find a tire that performs better in the snow than either of those, especially the Duratrac. They can be studded too...

If you are in stuff that either tire aren't good enough for, especially the Duratrac, a snow tire won't help you. You can throw chains on them if it's super slick ice.

Either tire, I bet, will work great for you. I chose the BFG because they last a lot longer, and they perform great. The Duratrac is more aggressive but won't go as many miles. Also they come in the size I want, and I work for a non profit land conservancy and the Duratracs looked a bit aggressive for that type of work haha.

#7 ·
I agree with the two tires recommended including the pluses and minuses.

No wrong answer between them for what you describe.

:D

#8 ·
#9 ·
I've been happy with my Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour tires in Snow. They offer the longest warranty I found and offer the best all around performance. If I was going to put a specific snow tire on, it would be narrower and studded.

#10 ·
What up Steezy!! Sorry. Had to throw that in. It's nice to hear Berthoud Pass mentioned as I live about 8 minutes from it and drive it multiple times a week.

I agree that you can't go wrong with BFGATKO or those wranglers.

THAT IS ALL... Surprisingly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.