Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 V6 with about 150k on it. I had a misfire so I did a full tune up and thought it was fixed but came back after about 100 miles. I changed the intake hose because it had a large crack at the throttle body and no changes. I changed cylinder 2 injector and it got way worse. No idea what it could be.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Did you inspect the injector seal when you replaced it?
Did you inspect he wire harness for breaks or cracks?
What does the #2 spark plug look like? Is it black?
Have you inspected the lead going to your #2 plug for cracks?
Also inspect the distributor for bad bearings. Mark the position of the cap before taking it off so you can line it up correctly when you put it back. Then remove the cap, pull the rotor out and look down in the well for metal shavings.

I'd suggest checking the vacuum line that runs from the Fuel Pressure Regulator to the back of the intake manifold for gas while the engine is running (in case the FPR has a leak), but that tends to cause a #6 misfire followed by a Random misfire code. You may want to try that anyways.

Also, did the color code of the injector that you installed match the color of the other injectors? It's a common mistake since they look the same in every way other than color, but the color codes are there to signify the flow rate of the injectors. If you had a bad injector that was giving too much or too little gas and installed the wrong injector you will still have too much or too little gas on that cylinder and it could be the opposite of what the original issue was (switching from too rich to too lean or vice versa).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts