Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just threw a brand new set of General Grabber AT2 265/70/15 on my stock '00 Xterra SE and I'm getting some pretty good rubbing. I guess I didn't account for the beefier tread. I'm not too worried as I've done a lot of reading about needing to do this, however, I've never done this kind of DIY before. What are the best tools to use? Dremel?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those rub?
Anyway, I used a pocket knife and it was really easy
Certainly rubbing on mine. I was surprised too because I didn't read anywhere to expect rubbing. Figured an alignment would help but it's still pretty significant on tight turns. So a sharp knife and some sand paper to clean it up should be good?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
265/75/15 will not rub on the plastic unless you change the OEM wheel backspace of 5.5"

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had the same thing when I put the Duratracs on. Beefier tread does rub slightly even at stock size. I started by removing the bottom of the front mud flaps. Its held in by 4 screws and comes right off. Then I used a Dremel and it worked like a charm. I've heard some guys heat it up and mold it back but never had any success with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just put on a set of those same tires along with some us wheels 15x8 series 94 wheels. Ended up doing the poor mans lift to eliminate the rubbing. Also took off the front mud flaps and the lower plastic piece on the front of the wheel well plus a little trimming. They still make contact if I max the steering out all the way left of right.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts