Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
02 4x4 xterra s/e manual supercharged
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New fuel pump, new fuel filter, new distributor cap and wires? Where do I look next? No check engine light but oil and battery light stay light when cracking with flashing ABS light?

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,027 Posts

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,226 Posts
You should be able to check it without removing it. You’ll need a timing light to adjust your new one though

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should be able to check it without removing it. You’ll need a timing light to adjust your new one though
Do you know if there's a specific one needed for the supercharged version? Or if it's standard?

·
Registered
1 Posts
New fuel pump, new fuel filter, new distributor cap and wires? Where do I look next? No check engine light but oil and battery light stay light when cracking with flashing ABS light?
I just experienced this on my new to me '02 3.3 on a 250 mile trip. Turned out I got lucky with an honest mechanic that diagnosed it with bad fuel pump due to the well known hangers failure (or so he guessed). In anticipation of the needed parts he found after 4 or 5 tries to locate the parts for replacement. Luckily he had time due to a cancelled customer apptmt, to open the tank to check the pump, and found the pump, by previous owner or mechanic, had been installed improperly. He cancelled the incoming parts order and had me properly set up within an hour or 2. The fuel line hadn't been inserted all the way until it clicks. Supposed to jerk on it a couple times to be sure it is locked into the pump. Obviously they didn't check it.

Thank heaven I got a good referral on using this shop from a customer that lives in the area and received such excellent & honest service from Domestic Auto & Towing in Clyde, NC, 30 mins west of Asheville. Obviously I learned a valuable but obvious lesson in basic wrenching. In this situation, it was either the ignition= fire or fuel delivery = pump. He tested the fuel delivery first by disconnecting the hose/tube delivering the fuel air mix to the injector. Then on his signal, I turn the starter key as he sprays a tiny amount of fuel just enough to make the injector cough like it is starting. Of course that engine start only lasts a second or 2 but that tells you the ignition is good, so process of elimination says it is fuel delivery failure or likely the pump.

Good luck on your issue!

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,027 Posts
Good to see folks getting treated well! Good to see folks handing out kudos to folks like that as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for all the help and suggestions problem solved it was a bad distributor well... the coil inside of it. the rotor still spun while cranking. I also replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter just because the X is almost 20 years old so i figured why not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts