Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to experiment with some custom wheel well trim looks for my 01. Anybody know of a 3d printing source who'll do one-off type projects at a reasonable rate?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, you mean kind of like a liberty walk mod for the 01? It would be pretty sweet and I was thinking about doing some things also... What exactly did you have in mind?
I was thinking simplified interior mods.. that kind of bolt on rather than hidden plastic clips..
at one point in time I was thinking new bumpers, or even some cool kinda roof rack .. we may be able to make a repository.

All i know is if the work was done .. people here would eat it up. and it would get alot of media attention.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, you mean kind of like a liberty walk mod for the 01? It would be pretty sweet and I was thinking about doing some things also... What exactly did you have in mind?
I was thinking simplified interior mods.. that kind of bolt on rather than hidden plastic clips..
at one point in time I was thinking new bumpers, or even some cool kinda roof rack .. we may be able to make a repository.

All i know is if the work was done .. people here would eat it up. and it would get alot of media attention.
I'm not familiar with the term "liberty walk." I was thinking some custom fender flares that mimic the lines on the Jeep Wrangle Rubicon.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just thought it would be fun to play around with different looks. I'll confess into not having researched cost, size, and material limitations of current 3D printers however.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, i'll tell you ... Large format 3d printers cost maybe like 13-25k ...

but there's a hack, with a smaller printer you could print multiple sections of the finished part and glue them together.

You're right though this would be fun.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A design file repository would be a cool idea. It's been a number of years since I used any CAD software however, so I have no idea how practical it would be to store such files.

·
Registered
22 Posts
well, the problem I see is that if consumer printers ever became useful for these applications there would be no files...
Just imagine a 16 year old in 2035 trying to find parts for his dad's old classic Xterra. ...

the best thing about us is we have the potential to start making files, storing them here on the forum...

if interested, and I'd like to add other forum members at this point,
What things would you remake, or build in a 3d printer for the Xterra 1st gen?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts