Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that using cruise control in the rain is not recommended for front wheel drive, i.e. acquaplanning can send your car in a ditch.

This is my first rwd vehicle (love the Xterra!), was wondering if it's the same concensus?

Or is there something about pushing vs pulling that would make it acceptable to use in rainy conditions?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cruise has never been recommended in poor weather, drive end doesn't matter.
Think of it this way, what happens when your rear wheels spin out of control?

I'd use cruise on a front wheel before I would a rear wheel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cruise has never been recommended in poor weather, drive end doesn't matter.
Think of it this way, what happens when your rear wheels spin out of control?

I'd use cruise on a front wheel before I would a rear wheel.
Makes sense, thanks :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
ah I use my cruise control in the snow. it shuts itself off as soon as you touch the clutch/brake... so its not a big deal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty stupid. There is a reason that auto and insurance companies have warned against using cruise on snow and ice, or even water. Sure it shuts off as soon as you hit the brake, but by then, you are already losing control. This is especially a no-no in hilly areas. I know everyone likes to think they have the skill and reflexes, but I have seen first hand how fast control can be lost without using cruise when it shouldn't be used. I even had it happen. Pulling a trailer on a well traveled road, started going up hill and with zero warning, the rear end lost traction. The truck and trailer both started jack-knifing. No cruise being used, not accelerating, just holding speed. Patch of ice is all it took. Had cruise been on, I doubt it could have been saved as the worst thing to do on snow or ice when losing control, is to hit the brake.

·
Registered
382 Posts
i would never grab the brake when slidding but thats why i drive 3 manuals.... and i drive for a living put over 100k a year under my belt...
i think using cruise is a judgment call each has to make.

·
Registered
40 Posts
As I said, people have a tendency to think they are better drivers than they actually are. The amount of miles you put on a year doesn't matter. In fact, it can actually lead to over confidence. This makes me think of semi drivers that think because they drive so much, they are so good at it. Then they drive too fast and take out other vehicles, or even themselves.
Things like this happen enough that I give very little credibility to a person that uses that claim. It's kinda like the person that is cleaning their gun and they just know it is unloaded and yet they somehow shoot themselves or someone.

Fact is, you will be VERY hard pressed to find any "expert" that would condone the use of cruise on wet or slick roads. Lets just hope that if/when it happens to you, no one gets hurt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts