Nissan XTerra Forum banner

cruise control problem 2000

23K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Red two 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 and the cruise control is not working. I don't get a cruise light on the dash and nothing happens at all. It was getting hard to set about a month ago. It took my about 5 times to get it to set. Now nothing happens at all. Any ideas?

Mike

#2 ·
Is it that it wouldn't set, or it wasn't turning on? It could be anything from a bad cruise computer, to a bad or missing TPS signal, VSS signal, Tach signal, the switch assembly is worn out, or the collar between the steering column and steering wheel is worn.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but if you download the service manual it most likely has steps to help narrow it down

#3 ·
The most common issue with cruise control is the rubber bumper on the brake pedal that hits the pin on the switch, it may have fallen out...check for unexplained small hard rubber peices on your floor board. If it has fallen out it makes the system think that you are constantly try to turn of the cruise control.
There will be two switches there, the other one is for the brake lights.

#5 · (Edited)
Also, if it is stick shift, it has a switch ont the clutch peddle also, that needs to be checked.

#9 ·
I have 2001 Nissan Xterra XE Automatic. My cruise control stop working (it would turn on but won't engage). As Jmac289GT mentioned, the fix was the Bumper Rubber on the left side. I bought the part from Nissan Dealership. Part# 46584-S0100. It took a minute to install it. Cruise started working.

Thanks Jmac289GT for your guidance.

Attachments

#10 ·
I have 2001 Nissan Xterra XE Automatic. My cruise control stop working (it would turn on but won't engage). As Jmac289GT mentioned, the fix was the Bumper Rubber on the left side. I bought the part from Nissan Dealership. Part# 46584-S0100. It took a minute to install it. Cruise started working.

Thanks Jmac289GT for your guidance.
Just happened to me. Found the piece of rubber on the floorboard, then noticed my cruise wouldn't set, then noticed I could shift out of park without the brake pedal and then found this post.
Thanks for the part number!

Reactions: Panama
#13 ·
Thanks for the info on the nylon nut. I’ve tried repeatedly to insert the Nissan rubber part but can’t for the life of me to get it to go in. Very difficult to reach in and get it to seat. So I’m going to try the nylon nut fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I just came inside from doing the brake light side. It failed within one month of the cruise/shiftlock bumper yesterday on the way back from out of town. Had to drop the steering wheel down to get it in.

#16 ·
The brake light rubber. Dropping the steering is easy. If you need the steps, let me know

#19 ·
Thanks a lot! I appreciate the instructions. I also will be replacing all lights for LED, including the instrument cluster. That is one of my biggest complaints. Can’t see the gauges during the day and the dim backlighting isn’t much better at night. I was all set to order some EL gauges, but have not found any in stock for the Xterra gen 1. The search continues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.