Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 08 xterra would crank but no start yesterday I had it towed.the shop said they believe it's the security system and a dealer has to deal with it.does this sound right?is there something I can do.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
My 08 xterra would crank but no start yesterday I had it towed.the shop said they believe it's the security system and a dealer has to deal with it.does this sound right?is there something I can do.
have the battery checked first, the nissan dealer should be able to simply reset the security system if it is indeed starter interlocked, they just need proffiof ownership and its simple

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Battery is good spark is good it cranks then just switches to all power on fan comes on then no start
try disconnecting the battery and touching the wire ends together away frm the battery (drains residual charges held by components) and leave for a few hours and try er again, if still nothing its going to likely need the dealer

·
Registered
28 Posts
ok so my x has been failing to starter or has been taking longer and longer to start and finally yesterday i got the battery tested at autozone and it won’t start and the guy said that was probably the last time it was going to start. it’s a 2002 xe 4wd idk if that helps but i don’t think it has a security issue idk if the model does anyways does it sound like a start to you guys? it clicks whenever i try to start it

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
As most problems are relatively unique it's usually it's best to start a new thread that covers year, model, engine, transmission etc. Followed by a detailed description of the problem, symptoms and what you've tried.

Have you had a check engine light?
Have you had the codes read?
How did the battery test?
Did you replace the battery?
Is there an antitheft light on on the dash?

To rule out a starter issue I would try jumping the starter straight from the battery to make sure that it engages and turns over. Look on YouTube for a video on how to do this.

Make sure the vehicle is in park when you do it so you don't have the car lurch forward and run you over. The goal is not to start the vehicle, but to just get the starter to engage and have the engine crank.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Check that the connections to the starter are good. A worn connector, loose be or frayed ground connector will keep it from getting enough juice to crank, but give enough to click.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts