Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 3.3 no sc.
170k miles

My girlfriend loves this thing, mostly because it's yellow. I hate this thing, mostly because it always has something wrong with it. Either way, the cute little X IS a part of the family. It gets parked with the trucks because my girlfriend calls it a truck...

Recently, the x decided it did not want to leave the truck parking, and it refuses to start. Short list of events will be listed followed by a descriptive tale... Sometimes the facts help, some times the description does....

1. Starts running rough... 600rpm idle
2. Dies while driving
3. Refuses to do more than crank.
4. Decides to start like nothing ever happened.
5. Refuses to do more than crank.
6. Replace battery.
7. See number 5.
8. See number 4.
9. See number 5.

I have only removed the cap to see the conditions underneath, and to make sure the rotor was spinning. Cap was clean and dry in the inside. Air intake system is clear and clean. Spark was present when cranking the engine with the cap off.

How fast is the rotor supposed to turn? Never paid much attention to that before, but i don't think I have ever cranked an engine without the cap in place.

The detailed story....
It started running rough, then about 2 months after that started, it died while driving. My girlfriend had it jumped, and drove it back to the house where it died again. (about 1000 feet each trip) I take a look, and it starts right up. Drive it around, no problems. Drove it back home, still no issue. Starts no problem. Then, randomly, it decided not to start for me. Fuel pump comes on, starter turns the engine, rotor is spinning, but it does not start. Switched out the battery because it was "on the list" and not getting full cold crank. Still won't start. Screw with it for a few hours, walk away, forget about it.... Try starting it the next day and it fires up. Drive it around, no problem... Still runs a bit rough, but runs basically normal. Go to start It again today.... Crank no start.

I know there are over 400 threads on this issue, I read the 100 or so that sounded like my issue. But I think I am missunderstanding the process of elimination used to diagnose and repair this issue. I'm sure it's not the TB as the rotor is spinning. I am seeing spark from the coil. The fuel pump seems to be turning on, though I can not find a nipple on the fuel rail to test pressure. Air intake is clear. Air, fuel, ignition.... What am I missing here?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that I am not driving... Can't figure out how to edit... I meant note, not notice. The timing belt would have to be intact for the rotor to turn according to schematics and about 60 other posts I have read. I'm pretty sure the tb is not the issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So... Girlfriend wants to send the x to a garage to get it fixed... Screw that, I know you guys can help me figure this out. I found all the information I have needed for every other job just searching the boards.... Until today. This topic is just so vague in explaination. I'm just not understanding what I need to do. Any ideas on or from those pics?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, the picture or the gear... Where in relation to the gear is this bearing? From the posts I have read, there should have been red dust in the pictures I posted. The bearing must be closer to the gear?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Is the cap cracked? Intake boot intact with no cracks (Happend to mine spent alot of money diagnosing to one day just popping up in my head and looking it was my intake boot). And check the bearing in the distributor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.