Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I've never used truck tires (actually, that's not entirely true; I've used Kumho tires on my commercial truck. Just never used A/T's) by either of those brands, but I've used both Cooper Zeons and Kumho Ecstas on my SVT Focus, and the Kumho's were soooo much better. If they put the same knowledge and engineering effort into the all-terrains, I would go with the Kumhos.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had some Kuhmo Ectstas on the Z and they were solid for a cheaper tire. That being said they're a lot different tires, but Tire rack usually has some pretty good research if you want to check them out.

·
Administrator
11,798 Posts
You are comparing an M/T to an A/T though with the two tires you've listed. If you're wanting friendly road manners, go with the Coopers. Even if the Kumho's are better quality (jury is out on that), they are going to be noisy and won't have near the tread life because of the aggressive tread. My buddy ran the Cooper S/T's on his jeep for well over 60K without problems but I can't say anything for offroad performance on them. Never seen them in action.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
i had the cooper s/t as my last set of tires....the were fantastic in the mucky stuff, but they did get some bad rock rash, aired down or not...

if you aren't going to wheel and just want an aggressive look, definitely go with the coopers....low road noise and decent ride quality....if you are going to wheel, decide how much traction you need and pick the tire that fits your needs best

·
\m/>_<\m/
2,066 Posts
My Kumhos kick ass.. I love them and they started out really quiet (typical) and now after about 4-5k they make a bit more noise but its nothing that bothers me..

They hold up great too..

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I'm torn between the Cooper Discoverer STT M/T and Kumho Road Venture KL71 M/T myself...... Still trying to decide, I think the lowest price will liely win the decision...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm saving pennies to pick up General Grabber AT2's...& they're cheaper than both those Coopers & Kumhos. They're not some 3rd rate tire either....General Tire is a big name over in Europe, but just not popular in the US. A lotta guys over on the newx run them & swear by them. and you can't beat the 60000 mile warranty on them either!

http://www.treadepot.com/tire/05684090000.html

Dunno if you'd consider retreads or not either, but www.treadwright sells their Warden AT's (identical to BFG All Terrain tread pattern & you can ask for BFG sidewalls) around $90/tire too! Treadwright has some rave reviews also! featured in a 4x4 wheeling magazine too.

personally, I'm tossed up between the GG's & the treadwrights right now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plan on doing some moderate wheeling. Nothing too crazy. Just a couple mud bath's here and there. There aren't many places Connecticut to do so. I feel as though the Cooper's or General's might be a wise choice for me, yea?

·
Registered
195 Posts
sounds bout right. The Kumho's have more of a mud tread to them. Reviews of them on TireRack don't seem too bad tho either. MT's generally have a softer compound & wear faster than AT's do.

Being the Coop's and the GG AT2's are both All Terrain tread, you'd prolly benefit better from that. Read the reviews on that site & on TireRack as well to see what people have to say (esp. the reviews where people have driving them 15k, 20k+ miles so you can see how they rate the wear/noise of them after that many miles).

·
Administrator
11,798 Posts
Check out some Nitto Terra Grapplers. Cheap, and they have great road manners but also do well offroad.

I wheeled with a guy running them on his X at Coal Creek and I was quite surprised at how well they handled. I believe Pops also runs them on his Armada.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have the Discoverer A/T's and they are a good dirt road, highway, light snow tire. I've been in some deeper mud and deeper snow and wasnt thrilled about the traction, to be fair though I had A/T and wanted M/T traction. I've put around 30,000 miles on them and theyve held up well. Tread wear is great, I havent rotated like I should but the tread is still there and should be good through winter (I put 43,000 miles on my truck last year). Overall I would buy them again for a truck that was going to see mainly highway/light off road use.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've getting my tires from the same place since my first car and the guy there ALWAYS recommends Nokians. Anyone run those?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the General Grabber at2's and went with the cooper discoverer s/t this year. They ride much nicer on the road. so far not much offroad with them but the do pick up less rocks. Overall in the couple months that I've had the coopers, they seem like a much better tire, slightly louder than the grabber, but the grabbers tread was designed for a quiet ride.

On a side note These have also caught my eye

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+DuraTrac

1 - 19 of 19 Posts