Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a coolant leak, which looks like its coming from the backside of the engine somewhere around plug #6 . Its a pretty big one that leaves my radiator dry after just a couple days and i get puddles after warming up. any ideas what it is thats leaking back there? 04 3.3l non s/c

·
Registered
328 Posts
Check hoses 4 , 5 and 6... You can change them without taking the intake plenum off.

Otherwise, if it is # 2 or 3, then you have to remove the intake plenum.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just popped the hood an took another look and it appears to be the hose attached to the piece in the picture. theres that rusty looking build up on top of the hose and all along the sides going down it. Is this hose hard to find/easy to replace?

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just went back and looked again and its confirmed to be that hose. the top clamp loosened up, slid down and is now sitting on top of the bottom hose clamp. Does anyone know the easiest way to get to this?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hard to tell by looking at your picture. But it looks like something related to hose 4,5,6 (I can't see the loose clamp). Was the pic taken from the firewall looking towards the front?

I would try everything to move the hose clamp back up using a grabber or any other tool, then try to tighten it, even it if takes 1 -2 hours. If you take the intake plenum off, it is a 1 day job.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hard to tell by looking at your picture. But it looks like something related to hose 4,5,6 (I can't see the loose clamp). Was the pic taken from the firewall looking towards the front?

I would try everything to move the hose clamp back up using a grabber or any other tool, then try to tighten it, even it if takes 1 -2 hours. If you take the intake plenum off, it is a 1 day job.
im standing on the passenger side behind the power steering reservoir. The pic is from roughly the same angle. Its looking at the back of the engine/the firewall. the blue cable is leading to plug #6

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didnt manage to get the hose itself in the picture but its attached to the underside of that brass(?) piece

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ah.. OK, so where is the loose clamp? Is it under the plenum, or did it slide down the metal tube behind the engine?

Either way, I would try to pull the clamp back up and put it back in place without taking the plenum off. It might help to take off the hood, that way you can get from the side and from the top. You may need to use a mirror to get the work done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah.. OK, so where is the loose clamp? Is it under the plenum, or did it slide down the metal tube behind the engine?

Either way, I would try to pull the clamp back up and put it back in place without taking the plenum off. It might help to take off the hood, that way you can get from the side and from the top. You may need to use a mirror to get the work done.
Whats the plenum? Just gotta find something small and long enough :3d_050:

The loose clamp is just sitting on top of the bottom hose clamp. I can reach in with my hand and grab it but its a tight fit, probably wont be able to move it with my hand.

·
Registered
328 Posts
OK, take a look at my picture again. it is not hose 4,5,6, its the hose that is near the date at the bottom ( Jul 10, 2009).
You see those 3 brass tubes lumped together? Its one of those. You should not have to take the plenum off to work on those hoses. but it will take time since there is not much room. Just be patient and take your time.

You should be able to replace to fix the clamp. If the clamp fell out of reach, then get another clamp and put it on.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Try to loosen the clamp just enough to move it. There are curved needle nose pliers, or something with a universal joint.

What about a grabber?

Like I said, can you just leave that loose clamp there, and get a new one? open the new clamp up, then wrap it around the hose, and tighten. Can you reach the spot where the clamp is supposed to go?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i managed to slide it up and tighten it but it still looks like the top of the hose is opened up. So guess ill drive it to work, check it out again, re-tighten if i need to and see if i need to replace the hose

·
Registered
328 Posts
Let us know if it's OK or not. I took a look at my son's Xterra and you can replace those hose without removing the plenum. But is not fun. It does help make a little more room if you remove the hood.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let us know if it's OK or not. I took a look at my son's Xterra and you can replace those hose without removing the plenum. But is not fun. It does help make a little more room if you remove the hood.
well i checked it when i got to work last night and when i came home and it appears to be holding up. Didn't see any leaking fluid and my radiator remained full for both trips.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts