Nissan XTerra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my attempt to flush the coolant system, i ran into a little problem. My engine block drain plugs are corroded shut and are impossible to take off with human strength. Not enough room for an impact gun. Anyone have any ideas on what i should do. Trying to avoid the $150 bucks Nissan wants for the job.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
i flushed my coolant last year, but i didn't remove the drain plugs on the block (for the same reason you can't)....i drained my radiator & overflow bottle, filled it back up, drove the truck around for a little while, parked and let it cool off, and drained the radiator and filled again....not quite as effective as pulling the plugs for a full drain, but MUCH easier

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of doing exactly that but would love to do it the right way if possible. Ill probably suck it up to do it the cheap easy way.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
yeah i spent a good hour trying to get one of the plugs out, busted up a knuckle, and finally said screw it....like i said its not quite as effective, but it will work

if you want you could even do an extra drain/fill to try and get as much of the old stuff out as you can, you can just refill with water each time so your not wasting antifreeze

another option is to add some coolant additive when you fill the last time...i added a small bottle of 'watter wetter' and i noticed immediately (and ever since i added it) that my temp gauge sits almost 2 needle's widths lower than it did before....plus the additive is only like $6 so why not

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
correct me if im wrong, but i dont think that would work since the thermostat would have to be open, which is wouldnt be if you were working on the engine, right? best you would be doing is flushing the radiator completely....

unless you remove the thermostat housing and shoot right into the block.....make sure the engine is COMPLETELY cool if you do this, last thing you want is a cracked block :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as i know you can flush it with the thermostat in place, you just wont get a thorough flush. plus it will flush slower. Could be wrong.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
if the engine was up to operating tem would the thermo be open?
if the engine was up to temperature would you really want to open the radiator? even if you did, would you really want to shoot cold water into a hot engine block?

:aufkopfhauen-big:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you start the flush while the engine is cool and let it warm up to normal temp it would be the same as starting your car in the winter with cold fluid in the system. chilton manual says to remove the thermostat and do the flush with the engine off but that requires to much breakdown of other components for me to bother removing it. remove the upper return hose to the radiator so water can flow out and shove the garden hose where the return hose should be. idk sounds like it should work

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
only reason i wouldn't do it with a hot engine would be the risk of cracking the block with cold water on a hot surface, but it would probably work if you let the engine get up to temp with the hose running

you're going to make a huge mess and get coolant all over the place :)

good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haha yeah that's why I plan on doing it at my first aid squad where we have floor drains.

Thanks for the luck! I'm gonna need it!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
My advice to you would be to drain the fluid out of the radiator. do a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. Then run the truck for a little bit. Drain and put 50/50 mix of vinegar and water in again. Run the truck for a few min. Then drain and run 100% water. Run the truck....then drain and fill with coolant.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yeah the FSM says that you drain out the system completely. Fill with water, start the engine and let it warm up, rev it a couple of times then shut down and drain the water. Repeat until the water comes out clean. Then refill with coolant.

Of course this takes time because I think you have to wait for the engine to cool down between flushes (even mentions using a fan to make it a faster process).

Reactions: AK28

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah the FSM says that you drain out the system completely. Fill with water, start the engine and let it warm up, rev it a couple of times then shut down and drain the water. Repeat until the water comes out clean. Then refill with coolant.

Of course this takes time because I think you have to wait for the engine to cool down between flushes (even mentions using a fan to make it a faster process).
I messed up, ddnt wait too long between flushes...dnt be like me, but the last one I did wait and then filled up properly, praying for no leaks anywhere😅

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.