Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Coolant appearance

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  kms1990 
#1 ·

hey everyone, wondering if this stuff on the surface of my coolant in the radiator should be of concern. It’s been there for a while and hasn’t accumulated anymore in the past weeks since I last noticed it. Just checking fluid levels and what not and noticed it and figured it could be an early sign of something or it could be nothing out of the ordinary. 100,000 miles on my vg33, probably gonna replace the radiator in the next 5-10k but no leaks or anything acting funny with it. Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
Should also say it was whatever straight green that a shop used about 5k who when they did timing belt, water pump, and coolant flush. So since then I’ve topped off with a blue universal, and now just a bit of an orange universal stuff due to hose leaks and coolant lost from removing plenum, other than that level stays the same so no leaks.

#4 ·
Ive heard and read about that, figure I’ll try to do something with the engine soon enough where I have to drain the coolant and I’ll give it a flush and put back in all good stuff. How long do you think is safe to have the universal stuff in there? I don’t plan on more than 10,000 miles with it.

thanks again

#9 ·
Power steering is all that has the stop leak now :) but I checked and I used a prestone universal blue color when I had a hose leaking and couldn’t identify it. Then taking the plenum off I lost a bit and only added a little bit more just to have it in the proper range, and what I added then was the Walmart super tech universal extended life, which is gold, not Orange like I said.
That being said, the blue has been in for about 4K and that gold stuff only about 1k miles.
I do plan on replacing the radiator soonish, but I’d like to make an e fan setup and have all the measurements and mounting made on that new one before it goes in so I don’t have to take anything apart again, and I’m not sure how soon I wanna do all of that.
But thanks again guys, I’m gonna keep an eye on things and do some more reading to make sure I’m not causing problems that I can’t see.

#11 ·
Yea I’m thinking I should be good. Did some research and reading the labels and it seems the universals I’m using are all silicate free and whatever other things can potentially have bad reactions, so I’m not gonna worry too much, but I’ll try not to keep a big cocktail in there for too long at a time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.