Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've noticed on my '01 X, that when I backing out of a tight spot (steering wheel turned all the way to the left) I get a clunking noise out of the front suspension. Also noticed some wear on the outside of the front tires, could it be time for new ball joints?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Jack up your tire at the closest possible point on the lower control arm to the ball joint, just enough to take a long pry bar and put it in between the tore and the ground. Push down on the tie rod and see if there is movement at the ball joint...i.e. the tire moves up and down, but the lower control arm and ball joint area stay the same...could also be your steering stop caps have worn and when performing a tight turn, they are just binding on the stop...

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
621 Posts
Steering stops is probably it. Mine does this but doesnt clunk it screechs if my suspension moves at full lock. I have just learned to not hit the steering lock never really do unless i just got the vehicle and its by accident. After a while you get used to where the lock is and dont hit it.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Just grease your steering stops. A dab of grease will do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.