Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I went and test drove an '04 SE with 103k miles. In 4wd mode, the car ran perfectly. When I switched back to 2wd mode, the car started to make a clunking sound while driving. It would clunk and the car would jerk every 5 feet or so. I had the dealership check out the issue and at first they thought a U-Joint was too tight. This diagnosis didn't make sense because this clunk apparently is new to them.

Now they seem to think it's the whole rear end of the X, maybe the rear axel? Does this sound like a serious problem? They spent 25 minutes searching under the X and had all their mechanics stop by at different times. Any ideas what this could be? I'm worried that it may be the start of a larger issue.

Other than this one issue, it felt great. The suspension felt great, tires and 4wd were nice, body is rust free and minimal rust on the underbody. Just as an fyi, they are asking $6800.

Appreciate your help

·
Registered
382 Posts
Did you back the truck up. To disengage the front hubs?

And did you engage 4wd on dry pavement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not reverse to disengage the front hubs, is that what you're supposed to do? Also, it was not dry pavement. It was wet from melted snow, maybe even some snow on the pavement. Does that make a difference?

·
Registered
382 Posts
The instructions for disengagement of the 4wd should be on the back of the driver visor.

But I know if I don't back up at lest 10 feet my transfercase will disconnect and the hub stay connected I get all kinds of weird noises.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks for the advice. I'm wondering if it could end up being an issue with the transmission? Also, why would they think the rear axel needs to be replaced?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts