Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01 xterra se
it's lacking power.
several mechanics are telling me my cats are clogged.
p0420 code keeps coming back and loss of power indicate this they claim.
Most, as well tell me nissan cats suck so there's that.
i'm not buying new ones, so here's the deal.
I plan to take the secondary cats out and drill through them.
Primary cats to my reading in 00-01 had bolt on primary cats, and 02-04 they were made into the exhaust manifold. I have yet to get under and check mine. Should I drill through the primary ones as well, of course only if they are bolt on. If they aren't bolt on is my only option to get headers? I see conflicting info on if the first cats can't be messed with, I know the secondary cats be tricked with non foulers. but aren't the primary cats being used by the computer to determine fuel air ratio? I can't find any "offroad" pipes to replace the secondary cats or i'd just do that. and i have no welding experience to fabricate my own. KY has no emissions check so no worries on inspections. Any expertise would be appreciated. This X had a MAF sensor mod thing from ebay on it for years so the darn thing prob messed with the ratio and that's what led to this. Before I removed the mod I kept getting CEL for too rich fuel mix. I know this is a lot and I appreciate any opinions on this!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Remove the mod. Keep it stock. Too rich sounds like your issue with the 02 sensors and cats. You can probably core out the cats and install nice aftermarket cats and extend the O2 sensor wires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remove the mod. Keep it stock. Too rich sounds like your issue with the 02 sensors and cats. You can probably core out the cats and install nice aftermarket cats and extend the O2 sensor wires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
i already removed the mod, still no power. do you have any idea on if the primary can be cut through and not mess with the ratio?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just replace them. Only stupid hillbillies remove/drill out their converters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.