Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recall back when I worked at the dealership the keys with chips were visibly discernable, you could see the little rectangular insert but Nissan must have gotten wise to people pulling them out for remote starters and such. Since the cat theft is running heavy I was looking at getting an alarm and most have the optional remote start feature. I know they have the bypass modules to circumvent this but damn they are pricey for what they do!

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,441 Posts
Remove the NATS antenna from the ignition cylinder by removing the screw in the side. Hang the antenna under the dashboard and use some masking tape the secure a programmed key in the center of the pickup area. Use any key or basic remote starter to start the vehicle

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Remove the NATS antenna from the ignition cylinder by removing the screw in the side. Hang the antenna under the dashboard and use some masking tape the secure a programmed key in the center of the pickup area. Use any key or basic remote starter to start the vehicle
Ahh, so the same way the old school remote start brands used to do it, just taping a key somewhere close to the antenna. I thought there was a more technical way by bypassing a wire somewhere :p

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,441 Posts
There’s other ways to do it also. You could flash ECM software from a frontier without NATS but likely the red key light would illuminate afterwords. You could also use one of those fancy boxes from the remote start but thats what you’re trying to avoid.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There’s other ways to do it also. You could flash ECM software from a frontier without NATS but likely the red key light would illuminate afterwords. You could also use one of those fancy boxes from the remote start but thats what you’re trying to avoid.
yeah, the bypass boxes are kinda stupid expensive. decisions decisions :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts