Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I have a 2011 Xterra Pro4x. The truck is showing P0100 (Mass Airfow Sensor), I had the MAF sensor replaced, the check engine light went off then came back on the next day. The part was replaced with an OE replacement. O'Reilly's ran the code again and it was P0100 again... the truck drives great, so I haven't fixed the code yet. Every time I drive through the mountains of Colorado (+10,000 ft above sea level) the check engine light goes off. When I drove back to Denver at a lower elevation the light came back on...this has happened more than one time. Hoping someone out there has an idea of what is going on!

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
air leak in the air intake boot most likely pop er off and stretch it and check for rips between the ribs. its likely to be an air leak issue with the intake side as going higher up in elevation obviously lowers oxygen levels and your truck's computer knows this and is constantly monitoring how much oxygen is coming in and leaving the engine. it uses this info from the maf and o2 sensors as well as other sensors to adjust the air fuel mix which it tries to keep around 14.1 parts air to 1 part fuel which is the ideal mixture for a gasoline internal combustion engine. its likely throwing this code at lower elvation due to it noticxing the maf is saying 1 thing but the o2 sensors and various others are saying something different, but as you get to the higher elevation the lower o2 levels cause the issue to subside

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Appreciate the reply, I'll check out the intake boot tonight!
if you find nothing there check the various vacuum hoses that run to the intake manifold for cracks or one that has popped loose (carb cleaner sprayed on them while engine running will reveal any leaking as the engine will rev if you spray one with a leak)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you find nothing there check the various vacuum hoses that run to the intake manifold for cracks or one that has popped loose (carb cleaner sprayed on them while engine running will reveal any leaking as the engine will rev if you spray one with a leak)
Will let you know how it goes... thx again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried both techniques from above, the intake boot looks great & nothing triggered an engine rev when I sprayed all the vacuum hoses with carb cleaner... any other ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Tried both techniques from above, the intake boot looks great & nothing triggered an engine rev when I sprayed all the vacuum hoses with carb cleaner... any other ideas or suggestions?
Check the voltage readouts on the maf per the fsm section attached here https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Xterra/2011_xterra/ select section "EC" and go to page 160 has tons of info on troubleshooting the code you have. Testing the wiring etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried all the troubleshooting steps, and even took it to the dealer; no one can figure out what is going on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts