Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time for me on the Xterra, and from what I've read here, #6 is a total PITA. Would it be worth the effort to remove the hood first?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Probably not. Use a universal joint with an extension on either end. Tape it all together.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I used the univeral with like 5 extensions for #6 . I ended putting my hands behind it cause the joint kind of binds up at certain angels. Super easy just took but 5 minutes. Not as hard as its made out to be. Just be careful setting the new plug in there and make sure you dont cross thread. what helped me was putting the plug in the spark plug boot and setting it in there that way and giving it a turn to catch threads.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I used the univeral with like 5 extensions for #6 . I ended putting my hands behind it cause the joint kind of binds up at certain angels. Super easy just took but 5 minutes. Not as hard as its made out to be. Just be careful setting the new plug in there and make sure you dont cross thread. what helped me was putting the plug in the spark plug boot and setting it in there that way and giving it a turn to catch threads.
Same, the first time psyched me out but once i did it it became fairly easy. Just gotta see what works and hope you have the right tools. But big +1 on taping socket and extensions together.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just did this last month. 6 was easy, 4 on the SC engine was the worst. Trying to get by mitts around that intake was a pain. I took the hood off and that make it pretty simple for 6.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok...at lunch today, using a mirror, I managed to get a socket on the number six plug, but since the x is my sole means of transportation, and I didn't want to be stranded, I decided to check here for the best extension and u-joint setup before removing the plug. I have a 2" extension, 2 - 4" extensions, and a single u-joint. What do I need, and in what order? Thanks!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Definitely the universal. I used mine and enough extensions to get above the motor. 8 inch total I think. Wasn't too bad, gets better with experence

·
Registered
73 Posts
I replaced mine with the hood off and plenum removed. I would hate to attempt this with both still on. Just be careful not to cross thread when installing the new one.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Taking it out i did was i said in my first post. Getting the new one in i put the spark plug boot on and left one extension and put it in with my hands. Im a big guy too guy too 6 4 280 pounds so dont go thinking you cant do it with hands half the size of mine lmfao.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
After fighting with a 1/2" drive and extensions for an hour I finally walked over to the parts store and bought 3/8" extensions and a u-joint. With the proper tools, a mirror, and a flashlight, it took me about 10 minutes to get the socket on the plug, and the plug out of the hole. Using the old plug wire socket to reinsert the new plug went surprisingly well. Only took about 5 minutes to get the plug in the hole and nicely snugged up.

PS: There is a small tab on the plenum which is located right above the plug. I used that as a guide.

IMG_20160218_1230146_rewind_resize.jpg

IMG_20160218_1230239_rewind_resize.jpg

IMG_20160218_1231482_rewind_resize.jpg

IMG_20160218_1238578_rewind.jpg

5/8" plug socket - 3" ext - u-joint - 3" ext - 6" ext - wrench. Add the 6" ext after you get the socket on the plug.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts