Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm in NC and during the winter storm we just had I was out helping stuck people and clearing trees from the roads. Somehow during this I overstressed my leaf spring and it broke. I wasn't climbing anything so I have no clue how but the bottom line is it broke lol.

What is the procedure to do this? Can I change it myself without air tools? How difficult is this repair? I found a used one locally for $50 that I'm planning on using.

Anyways. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Should really do them as a pair or the truck may sag from side to side. (Springs all take a "set"). Having said that it's quick to do just one but a lot better to do both. And Yeah it's easier and better to replace the bolts. No sense spending time (hours?) Getting bolts loose and finding they're worn out anyway.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And just to be sure, are there any differences between different options/models for the leaf springs? I don't think so but I need to make sure before I pick the darned things up and find out that they aren't a match...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is true. Well I know I don't have the AAL kit installed (just have 3 springs). We'll see, if it turns out they do have the AAL package then I might just pick up 2 instead of 1 lol. I didn't really want to do the AAL package, because for some reason I think I vaguely remember TJTJ saying you get more articulation from the rear without the AAL when you get the revolver shackles.

So seeing that I'm going to them in a few weeks I wouldn't want to ruin my articulation lol.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I found several online vendors for stock replacement springs. One of them, http://www.truckspring.com/ offers the complete hardware and all. Make sure you get the right springs, they are different from 4cyl to 6. I cant find any difference between 4wd and 2 though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So just as a final update to this thread for any future visitors. It was a very simple install. All I did was support the rear axle, unbolt the 4 bolts connecting the leaf spring to the axle. I had to drop the fuel tank shield in the front to access the front leaf spring bolt, but once I took the front and rear leaf spring bolt off the rest was pretty self explanatory. The only issue was it DID require another hand to help guide the leaf spring bolt back in because I had to use a pry bar and a lot of force to line the holes up. But it was really easy. I got a used leaf spring from a boneyard (in excellent condition I might add) for $69 (including tax).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice, thanks for the update. I have been considering buying leaf springs from the junkyard to replace mine, (passenger side is weak ) but was worried that they would fatigue like the stock ones did. Glad you got it all worked out!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, it was actually fantastic. They ride about the same height as my current drivers side one. And when I measured both sides it is at a factory ride height. So I don't know what kind of hole I hit on the passenger side to break it, but there is no noticeable wear on the drivers side or the passengers side replacement. Everyone was suggesting replacing both due to the concern that the wear was on both sides, or that they would ride uneven but honestly I think this was a great deal. It was an easy install and cost so little. Now I can save up and change to revolvers in the rear instead of being rushed to get just SOME upgrade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts