Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends. I've tried searching but came up with nothing. I've got an '03. I had some intermittent jerkiness in my throttle, no code, so I decided to put a new TPS on it to see if that fixed it. After setting the idle by the tach, it now will not downshift at wide open throttle. I can downshift it manually though. I've tried adjusting the revs a little, but nothing has worked. I put the old tps back on it and got the same results. Am I missing a step? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
do the idle and throttle relearn here:
try this first and see if it helps let us know

·
Registered
191 Posts
I’ve seen people install there with the finger on the wrong side and get no sensor response when the throttle is moved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The resets didn't work. I did find out that my cel isn't working. There were 4 codes in there that I'm working through one by one. I've got a miss on cylinder 3, bad knock sensor, and then P0121 and 0122. Those are tps circuit range/performance problem and tps circuit low input. I cleared the TPS codes to see if they were prior to the problem. It made no change in the way it drove and I haven't checked to see if they've come back.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
if your engine is naturally asperated not superchaged ignore the knock sensor thats a rabbit hole you dont want to go down, its not causeing issues or affecting anything, see stickied thread at top of repair section for more info. check that the wire on #3 is tight if these codes were pending then the light would not be on, your car wouldnt pass inspection if the cel didnt work. check the fsm and follow instructions here select your year of xterra and go to engine control system section and on around page ec-18 is where it has the trouble code charts, for 2002 (just picked a 1st gen year maybe different pages depending on year) age ec190 has the troubleshooting flow charts for po121 and 122 follow these and you will likely find your issue, if the new tps was installed properly then i would see about getting a different brand as you may have gotten one DOA and i would also test the continuity and resistance of the circuit for this sensor and compare to the specs in the fsm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips. It's the n/a motor. We don't have inspection in Arkansas, so I don't have to worry with that, but I do want to figure why it's running this way. I put the old tps back on to see if fixed the shifting issue but it didn't. I'll read through the knock sensor thread and try to learn a little bit.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Thanks for the tips. It's the n/a motor. We don't have inspection in Arkansas, so I don't have to worry with that, but I do want to figure why it's running this way. I put the old tps back on to see if fixed the shifting issue but it didn't. I'll read through the knock sensor thread and try to learn a little bit.
i'd leave the knock sensor be for now, focus on the ts, follow the instructions in my linked fsm for your year and see if you are getting proper readings on the circuit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts