Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2007 SE. Today I changed the radiator out of fear of the common radiator failure destroying my transmission. I used a DENSO !st time fit radiator from Rockauto.com. Installed everything, filled with 50/50 coolant and distilled water, started truck with heater on and let idle while topping off radiator and purging air from cooling system. Even though the temp gauge read normal I never got heat from the heater. Also I noticed the top hose was hot but the bottom hose was not. Pulled bottom hose and coolant that came from engine side of the hose was not hot either. I am assuming there is a blockage in the radiator somewhere. Kinda surprising being a new DENSO model. Their stuff is usually good. Was getting dark so I packed it in for the night. Gonna pull bottom hose again and see if anything drains from the radiator. I also changed the radiator cap and both hoses.

Any thoughts on my issue?

On a side note, this was a PITA job. Had to drop the steel pan under the engine, all the normal crap, had to pull the fan then the fan clutch. Arms are all scratched up. I'm done venting now.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I say drive it and see if it gives any problem. If it gives any problems continue to try bleeding it. I have heard these cars are a little harder to bleed than others and air pockets may cause the hose to never feel hot. If it was clogged surely the car would overheat. Drive it and see. My caravan's top hose didnt feel hot when me and my dad fixed a leak but hey it never overheated and the needle always stayed in the middle but now the top hose does get hot.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will try it in the morning. Was hoping to take it to the dealer in the morning to get a transmission flush done. Now I gotta fool with the dam radiator again. Really aggravated right now

·
Registered
255 Posts
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Xterra/2007_Xterra/co.pdf

See page 10.

Interesting that the 2nd gens don't have the bleed screw like the 1st gen. The service manual actually says to use a tool that will pull a vacuum on the system and then suck the coolant in to avoid air pockets. The only way I could think of bleeding it would be to leave the cap off with the car running and let the air pockets circulate until they go out the cap? Thats part of the process on the 1st gens.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did leave the cap off while running. Even tried bouncing the front end up and down to dislodge any air but it doesn't really move much.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never though front engine vehicles had a problem with this. My 1st gen Toyota MR2 came with bleed instructions and hoses from the factory. With the radiator in the front and engine in the rear air pockets are real concerns for that car. Will have to mess with it in the morning.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I never though front engine vehicles had a problem with this. My 1st gen Toyota MR2 came with bleed instructions and hoses from the factory. With the radiator in the front and engine in the rear air pockets are real concerns for that car. Will have to mess with it in the morning.
Try it with the cap off again. Make sure the car reaches normal operating temp then rev it up a few times. If that doesn't push the air out I'm not sure what will at that point.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drove it around and heater was working fine. Idled in drive way and it wasn't blowing full heat. I was headed to my dealer anyway to get a transmission flush so I figured I'd see how the heater ended up working. Worked fine. I think it finally worked out the air. Since I was at the dealer I decided to just have them do a cooling system flush/service just to be sure. All is well. I figured with 123,000 miles the cooling system was over due to be properly serviced. $320.00 for the trans service and cooling system service. One thing is for sure, I don't want to have to pull the radiator again. PITA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts