Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke my leaf springs and installed 4 leaf instead of 3 leaf. My question is now it rides really rough. I installed all new Rancho shocks and no change. I've heard I need to put 3" lift shackles on to compensate for longer leaf. I cannot find them anywhere.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
I broke my leaf springs and installed 4 leaf instead of 3 leaf. My question is now it rides really rough. I installed all new Rancho shocks and no change. I've heard I need to put 3" lift shackles on to compensate for longer leaf. I cannot find them anywhere.
http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981298-xterra-rear-lift-shackles.html

You don't get 3" lift shackles, as they'd be too long. You get 1.5" lift shackles which are 3" longer than the stock shackles...if going that route.

You then adjust the front end up a matching 1.5" using the built-in ride height adjusters.

These ride best btw:

http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981295-xterra-revolver-shackles.html

They are a lot more expensive, but are amazing. They lift the rear less, which many prefer, but add great ride and articulation advantages.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I've got the larger leaf pack and rancho shocks plus the longer shackles, it rides smooth as can be. Change the shackles
I made it even smoother by pulling off the sway bars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I just ordered the longer shackles. Will it hurt anything by taking off rear seat bar. My torsion bars must be cranked up because my front end sits 2" higher than my back end. If I install new shackles and front still sits higher I should crank down torsion bars correct. Will I have to get front end alignment again just had one done four months ago. Thanks guy's I'm new to the xterra

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I just ordered the longer shackles. Will it hurt anything by taking off rear seat bar. My torsion bars must be cranked up because my front end sits 2" higher than my back end. If I install new shackles and front still sits higher I should crank down torsion bars correct. Will I have to get front end alignment again just had one done four months ago. Thanks guy's I'm new to the xterra
I meant take off rear torsion bar sorry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I meant take off rear torsion bar sorry.
Sway bar sorry I'm wore out 16 hr shift today.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Sway bar sorry I'm wore out 16 hr shift today.
I feel your pain.

No, you want the rear sway bar off. It tends to break the P side rear shock if you leave it on, and the link can also break and tear out your brake lines and other bad things.

It doesn't seem to reduce sway either, even with a trailer on the back etc...so, most of us chuck it.

The front is supposed to be ~ 1.5" lower than the rear for best performance/mpg.

If the front is that much higher...WITH new leaves and longer shackles...you have the wrong leaves essentially.

Look at the upper bump stop gap, between the bottom of the upper control arms and the rubber bumpstop.

That should be at least 1/2" to 3/4" of gap there...and that amount of gap represents ~ 1.5" of front lift over stock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks bud I'm going to take sway bar off back end and install new shackles when they arrive and see. I ordered the leaves from trucksprings.com. They said they were for my xterra only four leaves instead of three. Honestly there is 4" between top of tire and fender on the front and 2" between back tires and quarter panel in rear. Hoping new shackles and sway bar off helps. I appreciate your response.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update apparently trucksprings.com sent me wrong springs and will not replace them due to me installing them already. They said they are for 2001 and they fit with little difference. So my question is when I install new lift shackles will they be ok or should I find another place other than them and order correct leafs. I appreciate anyone who has knowledge of what I should do.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Leaf springs are leaf springs if you put lift shackles it will help. nothing else to do besides that, Other than get the correct ones. Though im not entirely sure what the difference is between them maybe the 01 had longer factory shackles? When i bought my x it was the same way but it already had shackles on it with like 4 different height settings on it. All i did was drop it down as far as it could (on the shackle) and it brought it up to a nice even look.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will load one tomm srstaff I decided to order new set from someone else that are the correct ones.I didn't want to take a chance of messing anything up. Only been able to drive it four times since June and its drove me crazy lol. Just know I wouldn't recommend Michigan trucksprings to anyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts