Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking for a good way to wire my new CB radio, found a few diagrams online but haven't seen anything about going through a switch. I'm clueless when it comes to these things so let me know if I'm screwing something up or if there is a better way.

My thoughts are... I don't want to accidentally leave the radio on and have it drain my battery so a lighted switch would be a nice visual reminder to turn it off. I don't really want to splice into other wires (again, I'm new to this and would prefer to not start a fire).

Anyway, like I said, if you have a better idea I'm all ears.
Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
It is easy. Run your lines through a plug in the firewall. Just put in the toggle. Any cb radio (unless very old) has a fused line already. No need for another 1. Also, why would you leave the cb on? It is better to kill it with its own switch than a toggle.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It is easy. Run your lines through a plug in the firewall. Just put in the toggle. Any cb radio (unless very old) has a fused line already. No need for another 1. Also, why would you leave the cb on? It is better to kill it with its own switch than a toggle.
Well, i might be over thinking it but I've done some research and according to this website,
http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Jan 2007/CB power wire hookup - battery or cigarette plug.htm I'm supposed to add an additional fuse, near the battery, in the engine bay for safety reasons.

You might be right about not using a switch but i thought that i read someone hooked their cb up so it shut off when the car turned off and ended up not liking it because he had to reset the stations everytime he wanted to use it, so i figured i would leave the radio in the "on" and switch off the power with the switch .... But I'm having a hard time finding that post so..... I might have misunderstood.

Thanks for the reply!

Edited to fix image link

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, I never did use another fuse and never blew the original that came with the cb. You can if you want, it doesn't really matter. As for losing stations, if you use presets, none of my cbs ever did, don't wire into a + source that turns off when the key turns off. I always put an eye connector (or round connector) on the wire and attached it to the + battery terminal clamp. Ground goes to any solid ground.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Biggest things to remember are to have a good ground and if there is any part of the + wire that runs by anything rough or sharp, put something around it to protect it from getting cut. Oh and don't use more wire than you need. piles of wire can be problematic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts