Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
It was always fumbles
13,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so this is my CB install I did in the dash of my 2001 Xterra. This will work on the Gen 1 Xterra's but no other..
First you must pull the plastic ring off from the radio.. This is very easy because there is only two screws at the bottom of the ring.

As you can see the two holes at the bottom of the ring.
You can pull the ash tray out and do what you want as this will no longer work due to the cutting we are going to do!

This CB is a Cobra Ultra III its the older version of the now.. Cobra DX IV
These can be found at your local Walmart or any truck stop. I found mine on ebay for 18 dollars.
What you will now cut off is the part the tray slides in to.

Now you will have to trim the hole after cutting the tabs off. This is where you need to take your time... The opening is not big enough.. and you will need to drimmel out this

I would trim then try to fit the CB in the hole.. and repeat it the CB should fit snug. Once your happy with how the CB fits you can move to the next part.. You will need to trim in the dash!

You don't need to be as careful here because no one will see this.. Still dont go crazy with a dremmel..
Once this is cut Put the cb in ring and see if you have cut enough in the dash.. If all go's well your CB will fit and we can move on to the power..
The way I've done this may not be the best way..but it seems to work..
With the lighter still unplugged.. I took the positive (RED) wire and put it in the hole of the middle plug of the lighter.. this is the Positive of the lighter. At no point did I cut any wires!

Now you do the same with the Negitive (BLACK) on the outside plug... plug it back in to the lighter.. It will be harder to slide back in due to adding the new wires but it will all slide back together. Use electrical tape to wrap the new wires to the old. Once this is done check your CB to see if it turns on.. The way I've done this is! When your key is switched on the CB is on.. and when its switched off CB is off.
Now to the Antenna! I ran this under the center console.. then under the seat (I had to take the seats out to get the screws out of the center console)

I ran the antenna wire then under the plastic of both doors.

I then ran the wire under the carpet of the back cargo area.

This may work for you or not... Depending on where and how you mount your antenna.. I used a Firestick mount..
They make many to choose from so search to see what fit you X!
When all said and done you should have a install that really looks like it could have came from the factory

and if your really crazy it can look like this...

If you have any question hit me up... and sorry I didnt take more detailed pictures.. I never thought anyone would be interested in this..

·
Registered
534 Posts
Nice right up. Take a picture of how your antenna is mounted if you don't mind.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Take a picture of how your antenna is mounted if you don't mind.
I was thinking the same thing. Let's see how you got that antenna wire out of the back and on to the roof while maintaining that "professional" install look.

Great write up BTW. My Cobra III is in the garage waiting for me to find the time to install it, and even though I have a 2nd gen, your thread has really helped me wrap my mind around how I want to approach it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Its just 4 screws going into the inside of the jam. Depending on ur clearence it may rub some of the paint off the liftgate. It is on mine. Make sure u put all 4.. I only put 2 bcuz I didn't have the time to drill the other 2 and when wheeling it will move back n forth and loosen up

·
It was always fumbles
13,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have a picture of what the mount looks like on the inside where you screwed it in?
I ended up drilling this out.. and using a bolt lockwasher and a nut...
The screws on the brack will not last... To much bouncing from the antenna.
This was a PITA.. as I had to open the back panel and slide my hand in a very small hole to put the bolt in. Ill try to find a pix of it..

And yes this bracket will rub a little...

·
Registered
532 Posts
did you have your SWR tuned? if so where..i bought this model and am trying to maximize its potential

·
Registered
532 Posts
is that location a good enough ground?

·
It was always fumbles
13,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
did you have your SWR tuned? if so where..i bought this model and am trying to maximize its potential
No I havent yet... I will but I only use this for trails and im just lazy lol..
And is that location good for a ground? Im guessing you mean the antenna? Id say yes.. The mount acts as a ground for it...and its right in to the body.. I know some antennas want a separate ground..

Hit me up if you have any questions

·
Registered
532 Posts
im doing this install but i have an 04 with the 6 cd indash and i mounted the CB under the 4-way button angling up at like a 45 degree but it was all nice and done then i went to throw my X in park and bump bump crap so i took it all apart LMAO annoying but part of the fun id say i mounted it on the passenger side of the console. I'm using a dual antenna set up and need an extension cable should i just pick one up at radio shack or should i not use their cables?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I found a cheaper and correct length CB cable at the gas station (truck stop). I found out that the cable length should be in increments of 3 ft. I was told the Wave length of a CB signal is 3 ft and the cables should match for the best operation. It is also good to run a separate ground to chassis just for the radio (especially if you have electronic fuel injection). My Nissan manual also recommends the same thing in regard to the extra ground wire and CB equipment. The Radio Shack cable was 20 ft. The antenna, radio and mounting hardware was better quality and the cost was much less. I saved around $70.00 on the entire system.

·
It was always fumbles
13,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found a cheaper and correct length CB cable at the gas station (truck stop). I found out that the cable length should be in increments of 3 ft. I was told the Wave length of a CB signal is 3 ft and the cables should match for the best operation. It is also good to run a separate ground to chassis just for the radio (especially if you have electronic fuel injection). My Nissan manual also recommends the same thing in regard to the extra ground wire and CB equipment. The Radio Shack cable was 20 ft. The antenna, radio and mounting hardware was better quality and the cost was much less. I saved around $70.00 on the entire system.
Radio shack is high .

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
One thing you may want to see if you can do (if it's not too tight on the coax and screw up the Ohms of the cable) is run it behind the lower cargo area panel and come out behind the rear light. If possible it would clean up that wire in the back and opening and closing of the hatch won't wear on the cable. I know it's a thick cable and all but just an idea I may try when the wife allows me to do anything I want to to the X (which will be when it's 17 years old and she gets the new car and I get the hand off lol)

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
I found a cheaper and correct length CB cable at the gas station (truck stop).

I found out that the cable length should be in increments of 3 ft.

I was told the Wave length of a CB signal is 3 ft and the cables should match for the best operation.

It is also good to run a separate ground to chassis just for the radio (especially if you have electronic fuel injection).

My Nissan manual also recommends the same thing in regard to the extra ground wire and CB equipment. The Radio Shack cable was 20 ft. The antenna, radio and mounting hardware was better quality and the cost was much less. I saved around $70.00 on the entire system.
Holy yo yo

There's just so much bad info there its scary.

The correct length of an antenna can be calculated by using:

Wavelength (in feet) = 984 / frequency (in megahertz)

The CB portion of the spectrum begins at 25.01 megahertz, so a full wavelength antenna would be ~ 39.34 feet long.

That's quite a bit more than 3'

:D

As a ~ 40' whip's a bit long to be practical....you break it down to harmonics:

1/2, 5/8, 1/4 and 1/8 are all common wavelengths for antennas.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts