Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Castrol GTX VS Mobil 1 High Mileage

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  VTCMart 
#1 ·
When we first bought our 2002 Nissan Xterra in 2012, the previous owner told us to always use Castrol on the vehicle. Ever since, I have been using GTX High Mileage 10w40. Its not a full synthetic, but its a semi synthetic blend. Now i've been wanting to try out Mobil 1 High Mileage and that was a full synthetic oil. Now i have heard that when you go from Synthetic back to conventional you can have some problems. GTX High Mileage isn't a full synthetic. Would i start seeing any problems if i go from GTX High Mileage over to Mobil 1 High Mileage, and then back to GTX High Mileage?

#2 ·
You shouldn't have any problems switching oils. Years ago they used to say you cannot mix regular oil with synthetic, but that was not true. I also use Castrol High Mileage in my 02 Xterra and I have 235,000 miles on her. The one change I did do was stop using Fram oil filters and I switched to Napa Gold. I have a magnetic oil pan screw and I see a lot less crap on it with the Napa filter than I did with Fram.

#3 ·
IMO, Semi-synthetics are complete marketing BS. They can have as little as 5% synthetic and still be called semi, so it is mostly conventional by volume anyways. Most European oil lines (which are held to much stricter marketing laws) do not have any semi-synthetics in their lines.

If your truck has always had conventional oil, I would stick with that. The 'high mileage" just have added detergents/cleaners, again mostly marketing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.