Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the throttle body and discovered a thick coating of what appears to be carbon and oil in the upper intake manifold. Is this normal for the VG33E? My 4Runner had the same issue, which I attributed to a bad PCV. Is there anything else I should be looking for when I pull the upper intake?

Also, for future reference, do I seriously have to pull the entire upper intake to disconnect the throttle body coolant lines? They seem impossible to access otherwise.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I pulled the throttle body and discovered a thick coating of what appears to be carbon and oil in the upper intake manifold. Is this normal for the VG33E? My 4Runner had the same issue, which I attributed to a bad PCV. Is there anything else I should be looking for when I pull the upper intake?

Also, for future reference, do I seriously have to pull the entire upper intake to disconnect the throttle body coolant lines? They seem impossible to access otherwise.
they're brutal... Id do a compression check.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
No thats not normal someone never changed the oil.
Yes you should get new hoses and clamps they leak.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No thats not normal someone never changed the oil.
Yes you should get new hoses and clamps they leak.
It would not surprise me if the PO never changed the oil, but how does oil make it's way into the intake. In my 4Runner, the black goo was most likely from a bad PCV, a half-missing PCV grommet, and a leaking valve cover gasket. It was sucking oil in from the heads. The Xterra's valve cover gaskets do not appear to be leaking. Does it sound like blowby from worn rings and valve guides?

I'll do a compression test when I get the engine reassembled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts