Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Car won’t start, won’t crank, but radio & everything works

2K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  kms1990 
#1 ·
TPS sensor & maf sensor was replaced a week ago & today my car won’t start, won’t crank, but lights, radio etc all work & dont dim. (I can hear the fuel pump when I try to start it, so that’s good, from what I’ve been told) could it be the ECM or the starter relay switch? I honestly don’t know shit about this, pls help.... thank u

#3 ·
3.3 v6? can you post a link to a video say in onedrive or dropbox and make it public so we can get an idea of how its trying to start and what all its doing? that would be very helpful, you had the tps and maf replaced a week back, has the truck worked since and just now quit? if so was it running fine before or did it seem off? i'd check the wiring harnesses for both the maf and tps, which is easy to do, verify both are plugged up properly and dint come loose very well could be our issue whoever did the work may have not pushed one or both of the plugs back on as tight as needed and it vibrated loose, the maf is in the air intake tube as it heads out of the air box for the filter (you will see it rifght at the front of the tube behind the filter box on top mounted in the tube) the tps is at the opposite end of this tube where it connects to the engine and sits on the side of the throttle body. any idea if these parts are oem brand/nissan.dealer parts or just aftermarkets from somewhere?

Reactions: Satito
#5 ·
connects to the engine and sits on the side of the throttle body. any idea if these parts are oem brand/nissan.dealer parts or just aftermarkets from
KMS1990 has you pretty well covered here. When inspecting the wire harness be sure to look at the wires for cracked insulation. As vehicles age the wire insulation becomes brittle and is easily cracked. This results in arcing and shorts that cause all kinds of issues.
Sorry it took a bit to get back to u guys...I’ve had a day.. locked the only key I have in the car...still haven’t been able to look under hood to be able to give y’all an answer, but I will as soon as possible & thank u guys

#4 ·
KMS1990 has you pretty well covered here. When inspecting the wire harness be sure to look at the wires for cracked insulation. As vehicles age the wire insulation becomes brittle and is easily cracked. This results in arcing and shorts that cause all kinds of issues.

#8 ·
Yep, a bad or unprogrammed TPS can cause all kinds of fun shift issues since it's used by the computer to calculate when to shift, but that's on automatic transmissions. I'm not sure how it affects shift cycles on a manual transmission.

#12 ·
Revving before kicking into gear on a standard sounds more clutch related. Does it make any sort of sound when this happens? The manual on my Frontier is starting to do something similar on the rare occasion, but just when starting from a full stop (197k on the factory clutch). There is a slight high pitch grinding sound when this happens. This is due to the throw out bearing being worn out. My plan is to redo the entire clutch when I hit 200k.

ON a manual transmission the failure of gears to engage is generally going to be linked to the clutch system.

#16 ·
Ok hi everyone hope u r all doing well. My 2001 Nissan Xterra, was doing ok until i needed a new TPS & MAF sensor. I changed those out myself, everything was ALOT better except when I would get to about 15mph, it would take about a split second, then a small kick into second gear(my cars an automatic) so needless to say I didn’t calibrate it. (Prob didn’t say that right😅)
So then about 2wks later it just won’t crank, won’t start. The lights, radio, etc, all come on & I hear a sort of idk how to describe it..hiss? Noise at the top of the engine like towards the back,which I was told is a good thing bc that’s my fuel Thing? Ugh pls forgive me, I sound like an idiot.
Anyway,my battery, starter, cillanoids, all good had them tested. Wire harness was kinda started but not finished so that’s where I am at.... could it be the ignition switch? 🤞thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.