Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished changing my alternator today after my old one went bad. It starts up now and keeps the charge.
But now when I am driving Its making a high pitch whining noise, I can even hear it from inside the car. especially when I go higher up in the revs...

I also have another problem with my stereo and sound system it wont seem to boot up now after changing that alternator..

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would change the tension on the belt and see if it alters the noise. Check the electrical connections on the alternator and make sure they are seated firmly. Make sure the battery has a good charge on it. After that I would go get another alternator if those issues weren’t present before the new one was installed.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
check belt tension and all pulleys spin freely with no belt on there you likely either have a loose or even over tight belt or worn pulley bearing and i agree with above especially if the "new" alternator was in fact rebuilt or emanufactured swap it.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
90% of alternators for sale are total trash. Very often, the better the warranty, the worse the product
i agree to a point, the autozone duralast ones were usually ok, but thats all, wouldnt recommend them for any real reason, the gold new ones we rarely ever had any returns on but the duralsst ones were a good maybe 15% return rate and of that about 50% or so were DOA this is from 4 years working there and working in about 25 different stores of theirs. but yes the majority of alternators are junk

·
Registered
30 Posts
When i replaced an alternator a few years ago, the first two rebuilt ones i got were bad. The 3rd one did work. Are you going new or rebuilt?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
When i replaced an alternator a few years ago, the first two rebuilt ones i got were bad. The 3rd one did work. Are you going new or rebuilt?
yep rebuilt/manufactured is almost always a crap shoot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts