Nissan XTerra Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2003 natural aspirated 3.3
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So to replace distributor, just remember well where rotor sits on top of distributor. Lay new distributor in with same rotor angle . And thats it?! Car should start right up, no setting timing or anything else?

Reactions: NoFunBen

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Didn't work. New distributor $260, same dead ignition

·
Registered
2001 se 4x4 5spd 32"
214 Posts
The starter not even making a click will not be fixed by changing the distributor. They are 2 different problems.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Found out the starter is making a noise from inside the engine bay, sounds like gear broke loose or something. Doing the starter tomorrow.

Reactions: NoFunBen

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Here's some pictures of the dizzy I took while trying to remember where the rotor sits..

This top pic is of the old dizzy. Still good, I set it aside in the box for if I ever need a replacement..

I think that's all the pics I have!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes

Reactions: Wonderboy

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The new distributor I put in made a big difference in the power and overall responsiveness of the x. Talked to my dad , he out in a cheapy when I got the car. This is a duralast gold brand new. Cost me $260 but overall I am happy I did it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I think the code disappeared after the new one went in. Even though the code nor the distributor was the problem, it did throw that code..

Reactions: Portajon

·
Registered
2003 SE 4x4 V6 100k miles
512 Posts
Glad you figured this out! I bought a new crappy distributor and got that code and threw the old one back in and it started right up. So yes, cam position sensor is in the distributor, it’s an electrical/magnetic part so cheap replacements tend to not live up to the original hitachi or the duralast gold ones. Good job figuring out it was a couple of issues, but for anyone in a similar situation, if it ain’t even turning over then it’s got to do with the starter/power to the starter, if it’s turning over but not firing up, possibly just the distributor going bad.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Everything is fine w it, runs fast now, but I just went out and got on the gas,.. at a certain RPM there is a neat whining noise coming from seems like the left dash area. Bsshshhshshshsh. But high pitched noise. Not sure what that is..any ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is your battery and/or alternator good?
Mine did this in the drive through at Wendy's by Walmart. Pushed to a spot bought a battery at Walmart. Ended up being the battery terminal was corroded and broken. I have replaced my battery post clamp three time in my 20 years of ownership. 2002 Xterra se 185k good miles.

I recently replaced my distributer purchased from rock auto easy fix bought the cheap one 8 months or so no problems. Just sayn.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Everything is fine w it, runs fast now, but I just went out and got on the gas,.. at a certain RPM there is a neat whining noise coming from seems like the left dash area. Bsshshhshshshsh. But high pitched noise. Not sure what that is..any ideas?
Brake booster?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Mine did this in the drive through at Wendy's by Walmart. Pushed to a spot bought a battery at Walmart. Ended up being the battery terminal was corroded and broken. I have replaced my battery post clamp three time in my 20 years of ownership. 2002 Xterra se 185k good miles.

I recently replaced my distributer purchased from rock auto easy fix bought the cheap one 8 months or so no problems. Just sayn.
I don't really know why, but the new distributor woke this car up! Used to drive like a sluggish semi truck. Now it has power in the hills, shifts better, just all around runs better.. it was a cheaper one my dad put in the car..

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road (manual)
1 Posts
I am still at the side of the road with it, trying to get it home. But don't know what's up. Turned over for a half second, then nothing. I will check fuses. Starter?
I had this problem. AAA guy tapped on the starter [to move the motor past a dead spot?] and it worked. I was told to get a new starter because it would do it again. Replacing the starter was the end of the problem. There is a youtube video that explains the cause.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts