Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok so heres the deal i got new tires and a lifetime alignment which im glad i did now. The first time there was a ton of play in the front end and i was told they couldnt align it till i get new tie rods and a center link and tryed to sell selfs to me. Being who i am i brought it home bought a used center link with less than 10k on it guy bought it but decided to do a sas and he sent me his old tie rods.

I put his old ones on because they looked better than mine and didnt seem to have any play well not as much as my old ones and i brought it to firestones the same day and and they told me my tie rods where frozen so in anger i grabbed a wrench walked back there and loosened the tie rods and called the mechanic out(They got pretty pissed at that) But they also said that my camber bolts are frozen apparently i need new ones.

And now im just kind of torn between what to do, i just ordered new tie rods just to have new ones. What do i need to get? Cause it seems now everytime i go there they seem to say something else is wrong. Like when i got tires they told me my timing belt was whining which was another load of bogus because its my alternator and ive known this for along time. I do all the work on this truck. Only time it sees a garage is when i cant do something like an alignment or balance and roatating tires. But here is the alignment specs for those who wanna see how bad it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have to admit, I think I would find another place and see what they say.

It's possible they are really trying to help you, but it's also known that there are mechanics that try to find ways to make more money. The alignment is off, but trying to add all those other things makes me suspicious.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont get it after i get new tie rods i have no idea what i need to replace now.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't either. That's why I suggest you try a new place, but don't say anything to them (new place) about what you went through.
Just say you replaced the tie rod and need an alignment.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah gonna do that when i receive my new tie rods. Might go out there today and see if the camber bolts are seized and pb blast them atleast. Gonna go to another one in another town since i seem to be surrounded by about 30 firestone stores all of which are within an hour drive lol.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes, Firestone is a struggling brand, I have their lifetime alignment too, thought it was a great deal, and they even recommend alignment every 8k which seems really frequent! Well that's because they're trying really hard to become your regular mechanic.

The stores I've been to have been very reasonable, but what you're describing means they're probably about to close the store. Or they've hired minimum wage techs who don't know how to loosen bolts! Either way...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sounds like they are just jerking you around. I would go to another place and have them look at it even though you have a lifetime alignment with Firestone.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Im pushing 186k. my center link and tie rods where probably never changed. They looked bad when i put the new link on.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im gonna pay the extra and go to the shop i used to go to they where just too expensive for me. But everybody there knows me personally. They always did me good when i had my dodge. After i got this it didnt see much time in any shop lol. Tie rods should be here in a couple days so once those get here ill put them on and go somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
What size tire? What kind of lift? The stock centerlink is garbage...especially with a lift and larger tires. I replaced mine with new stock styles several times before going with grassroots4x4 centerlink...and now I can hold an alignment!

Frozen cam bolts you can check for yourself...remove a tire, loosen the nut, and can you twist the bolt by the bolt head, or remove,the hardware at all?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah grassroots kit you suggested me cause i asked on rather i should get a moog center link a while back. Well i got the moog lol 50 bucks couldnt beat it. Im just on a pml and 31x10.5r15 primera valera a/t got them for 600 out the door and my bfg where the worst tire ive ever had though they did look a bit more aggressive but when going through washed out roads i dont need my 4x4 anymore haha. Gonna try and unfreeze the camber bolts if they are and take it somewhere else once i get my new tie rods.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts