Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm curious if I can save money by buying a new engine instead of a new car. Would installing a more powerful engine fix my power problem? Specifics are below.

I have a 2001 Nissan Xterra and I'm going to be moving from the Denver Subs to Breckenridge sometime this winter and I have done the drive several times. However, every drive has been very laborious and my Xterra has struggled getting up the highways. I basically have no power in the engine and can't get past 45 mph when I need to be going 65-75 mph on some of the major inclines

It's a 2001, has 119,369 miles on it, and new tires that I bought last month of this year. I just did a drive from Denver to Grand Junction, which is roughly 300 miles, and the A/C compressor seized on me so I just spent $1300 to get a new compressor, belt, and air injection system. Also the timing belt was changed at 100k miles so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I just want more power so I can keep my car because it's paid off and I have enough money to get a new engine, but not a new car. Someone help me!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I recommend the 2JZ with twin turbo setup paired to sequential 6-speed. Bolts right in. You have to be a Saudi to drive it though.

But seriously its a brick. And the money you dump into a swap will be better spent on a subaru or something turbo that can get you up i70. Maybe you know a turbo shop or someone who can do the work but it will be a pricy (but sweet) project.

Maybe a VQ out of a 350Z?

·
Registered
444 Posts
You might fit the VQ out of a pathfinder, but then you're talking ecu, harness, tons of issues with fitment and custom parts...just do a vg34 ported and polished with headers and full exhaust...intake resonator delete, snorkel, bored throttle body, EFan conversion, and performance cams...heck if you do that, let me come help ya, I live in Dove Valley and have quite a few tools...even cylinder hones...though I've never personally used them

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
177 Posts
If the timing is off a tooth it will run like a dog. Adjusting ignition timing may be off too. Are you running bigger tires? 2wd? How is your air filter? The vg motors are tanks but they are dogs. With the money spent trying to build up the vg you are better off with a 350 swap. Parts galore and cheaper too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts