Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my check engine light came on this morning and I had the code spoiled I came up with a knock sensor code and a TPS sensor code. I assumed they knock sensor code was from me replacing my distributor and not immediately setting the timing. Also at the time I was not thinking about it but I had to remove the TPS sensor to get access to the distributor mounting bold and I am Not sure if I put it back in the same place. Anyway after having the codes pulled I drove 40 miles without any issues. let it sit for a few hours fired it up and went to drive home made it 5 miles down the road and ended up stranded. It started to die and would only run if I took my foot off the gas. I tryed to clear the ecu hoping it would get me home but no change. I had to be towed home. It starTed several times without issue while waiting for the trailer but when I got home it won't start at all.
Tps sensor? Whatcha think

·
Registered
177 Posts
Bad distributor? The tps ok?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming the no start was unrelated to the tps code. I'm pretty sure my no start is from lack of fuel passing through the injectors. The rest of the story Goes I got the truck on trade after it had sat for many years with fuel in the tank. Originally it had a no start fault with no fuel (the pump would not engauge at all unless hardwired to the battery.) And no Spark. That problem turned out to be the PCM relay and a bad connection with the PCM and the harness. Anyway it sat with about a 1/4 tank of fuel and my dumb assess ran it dry and sucked up whatever crap was in the bottom of the tank and clogged the fuel filter and more than likely all of my injectors. I replaced the filter and started on the fuel rail/injectors today. Will post results when finished.

New tps will be here in a few day's.
And if you have fb check out the page clubxterra.org I update there most often.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I do but I prefer the forums.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I came to the conclusion that it was a fuel issue because I did some testing on my daily driver that still runs fine. I unplugged the TPS sensor entirely to see if I could mimic the issue I was having with my other truck and that did not cause my issue. It only set the light off and ran rich. But it still started just fine every time. I know the distributor is good because I pulled it out of my daily driver and put it in there day before yesterday so that rules that out. Next I wanted to see if it would run if continually sprayed starting fluid through the intake and it did run. The conclusion is my no start issue was a lack of enough fuel.

I double checked all the connections on the fuel pump replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the lines and started replacing the fuel rail and injectors today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts