Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Xterra just quit unexpectly at a red light yesterday. Would not start. Felt like it was out of gas or fuel pump. Got it towed and shop ran the codes. P0340 comes up. I am get a further diagnosis on Monday.

Anyone have any experience with these sensors. Is it related to the timing belt.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
422 Posts
If the timing belt is good, probably a distributor failure. Take the distributor cap off and have a helper attempt to start the engine, if the rotor turns, then I would suspect a bad distributor. There is other problems that could cause the stalling but combined with the code you provided, the distributor would be most likely

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
probably distributor or timing belt, if it just shut off at idle at a red light likely distributor, very common on the 3.3

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. Really appreciate it. Calling auto service place now (was away so it has been sitting for 3 days). Will give you all an update shortly.

Dave
if you replace the distyributor, try and find an oem hitachi, or if not easy to source the autozone duralast gold version has been the recommendation here forever, and i second that as i had a 98 pathfinder and 2000 x both need a distributor, both got duralst golds, neither ever had another distributor related issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

For those of you following this thread, just got bad news timing belt broke. I did not know the history when I got the truck a year ago and was running risk. Might try to sell for parts. But thinking I will tow it home so I can have time to think about it first.

Dave

·
Registered
2003 SE 4x4 V6 100k miles
453 Posts
That sucks man! Before you scrap it it could be worth a shot to get the tools and the belt and put a new one on, get it running and see if it did the damage or didn’t

·
Registered
2003 SE 4x4 V6 100k miles
453 Posts
Yea you’d have to put a new belt and run it to see if there’s a bent valve, or doing a leak down/compression test or run air through it to see if it’s leaking. Best of luck to you and your decision! Sorry to hear about your loss

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m exactly in your shoes except I dove into changing out the timing belt after changing fuel filter and fuel pump. I should have read this forum first to find out it was a timing belt issue to start with. Oh well, at least I am intimately familiar with my 04 Xterra. Global warming killing my opportunity to wrap it up though as snow as fallen two or three days a week since I started. Thank goodness I’m in no rush to finish! Oh, and many thanks to the original contributors on this forum on the write ups to get me through this exercise in auto repair. So far so good, I think!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info. I had a compression test and zippo so I am accepting the truck is now scrap for parts. So far I have been offered $200 but will hold out for a little while as I have some extra space. Plates are coming off today and going to look at a 06 Xterra tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One thing I read is that a proper compression test can only be done with the engine running at a specific rpm so hopefully your compression test was accurate before you raise the white surrender flag!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Compression test should never be performed on an engine with a broken timing belt and should also never be performed on a running engine. All spark plugs should be removed, fuel disabled, and the throttle plate should be held open to achieve maximum airflow and cranking speed.

if you’re timing belt broke, I’d certainly at least try installing one before doing anything else. Many of these vehicles are known to survive a broken belt. Leak down testing or compression testing cannot be performed with the engine in this state

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's not hard to change yourself if you're mechanically inclined. Just read up on it a bit and do it. Mine broke and didn't hurt a thing. I've been told the 3.3 isn't actually an interference engine. It's just listed as one to scare people into bringing it to a dealer for a 100k mile service

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,092 Posts
I've been told the 3.3 isn't actually an interference engine.
You have been told wrong. This comes up all the time and we have to explain it all the time. I used to build roadrace motorcycle engines for a living, I’ve had the engine in my truck completely apart and rebuilt it. it’s an interference engine.

If that doesn’t work for you read this thread you will see where this particular bit of disinformation most likely comes from.

Snapped Timing Belt

Pay particular attention to the post by Cyclemut. Master Certified Nissan mechanic, mechanic/crew chief for multiple Nissan motorsports teams, Offroad Editor for Nissan Sport Magazine, Blah Blah Blah. It’s an interference engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts