Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I think I really screwed up.
I put a new timing belt on this week and when I finished it fired right up....ran for about one minute and then made a weird whining noise and then abruptly shut off.
I took it back apart and the passenger side cam sproket had broken off the cam and was spinning free.
The left cam and crank were all still in time
What did I do wrong ? Can I just replace the passenger side camshaft ?

·
Premium Member
8,523 Posts
Maybe!! The problem is the valves hit the piston because you did not line things up correctly or did not adjust the tensor correctly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had it lined up right because it fired right up
but I think i may have made it to tight.
I didnt realize it could be so tight it would break a cam shaft though

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I would not expect the cam shaft to break due to over tensioning the timing belt. You will have to pull the cylinder heads and inspect the pistons and cylinders. If the valves were out of time and hit the top of the piston, you may have trashed your engine. If you have to install a new cam shaft...may as well upgrade, right?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here is what im wondering
the passenger side is the only one that has an issue
the drivers side and the crank are still lined up at TDC.
Can I fix the broken side and leave the other ?
I don't know if the X is worth dumping a bunch of money into.

·
Premium Member
8,523 Posts
You can try that. When i said improper belt tension i was thinking more of to loose and the cam gear slip some teeth and pass side cam was off enough that a valve stopped it till it broke. You could find a cracked head at the junk yard and rob the cam to test it . Make sure lube the cam good with assembly lube so it does not lock up on start up.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Right...that would definitely throw the timing off...but if the cam shaft broke and is no longer spinning with the cam sprocket, the timing is off anyway, if I am understanding what original poster has said.

Either way, the first step is to pull the head and inspect the valves and pistons for damage. If the pistons are trashed and valves crushed from being out of time...it is all a moot point.

If you pull the head, and the valves and pistons are intact...I would still go with some performance cams or get a set of re-grinds if you want to save some more money. You have to replace one, may as well replace the other!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
maybe its time to sell it off .
I don't really want to spend the money on fixing her......she is just a spare car

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so I know what went wrong and yes.....im a dumbass
I did't adjust the tensioner the right way.
Just out of curiosity what is a good cam replacement for her ?

·
Premium Member
8,523 Posts
No your not a D*** your just learning the hard way we all make mistakes. I would get a junk yard replacement first and make sure there are no other problems.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I need help.
I read the fsm and the haynes and chilton manual about how to adjust the tensioner.
It doesnt matter which way i turn the tensioner the spring always moves off the stud.
So....how does it load the spring if the spring turns. Am I supposed to hold the spring or is maybe the tensioner broken ? What am I missing ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was going over some the timing belt parts and I noticed that the tensioner i took off had a shoulder on it to keep the spring at the top.
The tensioner that I received from Gates did not have that shoulder.
Can anyone tell me if they remember anything like that when they did their replacement.
Without the shoulder the spring moves and allow the belt to become loose.
Any help is appreciated.
Thx
Mike

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the cylinder head off and so far the only damage I see is the camshaft.
I don't see any piston damage.
So would you take it to a machine shop and get it checked and replace the cam and lifters or just get one from the salvage yard

·
Premium Member
8,523 Posts
I would take old head to MS check the valves to make sure none are bent ,change the valves seals and check the head deck to make sure its flat. If you get a another head from the junk yard i still would do the same as above. You dont want to waist your time and if there is a problem you will know what it is not.Make sure you buy new head bolts do not use the old ones.

·
Premium Member
8,523 Posts
If you buy new cam new lifters.
If you use another used cam make sure you mark the old lifter that came with that cam and put each one back on the same lob that they originally were on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts