Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Camp cooking, Coleman Dual Fuel stoves

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  RacerXXL 
#1 ·
I just bought 3 of these second hand off FB Marketplace, going to restore one completely as a good working unit first then work on the others. I was out over the holiday and a guy had one and I was rather impressed. Anyone have one?

See less See more
#3 ·
They still make them new but expensive as hell, got three for a total of about 70 dollars, two of them work as is but damn the are crusty as crap. I’m gonna strip them down to bare metal clean the fuel cells and the burners, and I am not a green person so I’m going to paint them black with BBQ grill paint. Also great for SHTF prepping!!! I’m a bit of a off grid junkie

#4 ·
The hinges on the side shields were pretty bad and the ones for the cover so I drilled out those rivets. Makes it easier for stripping the paint anyway, so here are those pieces in progress. Stripped them down to bare metal, first coat is black rust converter sandable primer which will help fill in some of the dents, dings, and little micro fracture cracks. I still may decide to try and find a Coleman green matching paint to try and get it looking like classic Coleman stoves. Stripping the main body is going to be a pain but worth it in the end!

#11 ·
Thanks! Acetone really eats through the paint but it evaporates so quick you basically have to drench it and brush it off at light speed. I then soaked the rusty spots in this Rustoleum rust dissolver gel stuff, then blasted it all off with brake clean. Now drying the coat of rust converter primer stuff, the to find a matching Coleman Red spray paint! I actually just came back from Lowes getting a decent bright Coleman green…. And totally forgot about getting something red……. This getting old thing sucks

#13 ·
Thanks! Acetone really eats through the paint but it evaporates so quick you basically have to drench it and brush it off at light speed. I then soaked the rusty spots in this Rustoleum rust dissolver gel stuff, then blasted it all off with brake clean. Now drying the coat of rust converter primer stuff, the to find a matching Coleman Red spray paint! I actually just came back from Lowes getting a decent bright Coleman green…. And totally forgot about getting something red……. This getting old thing sucks
That looks really good as base coat. I'm sure it'll look really nice when you're done, character and all.

Interesting thread, too!

Reactions: DickyDck
#14 ·
Thank you! I figured my progression of things leading up to me getting an Xterra deeply surround my love of getting outdoors and camping, so in a round about way this is about my X :p and I’m just about done with this, I went out and got the Red I needed for the fuel cell and I might be able to get the rest of the body painted before sundown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.