Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been half heartily looking for a cheap truck or SUV for dog duty and camping (2nd vehicle). I had my heart set on a FJ80 or 100 land cruiser (or LX) but haven’t had luck locally. One of my wild cards is an obnoxious yellow xterra with round headlights, and I passed the pictured 2002 today. I took a quick look. I find the rust in the back concerning although Ive seen so much worse here in salty CT. I know nothing about Xterra, anything I should look out for? Is 159,000mi a lot for a Nissan? $3500 isn’t outrageous but I have a feeling this could be a money pit.
FC51FBB6-39DD-48A9-944A-FB3D0289977B.jpeg
9BC83E5C-FD71-4F26-BDA9-D86C91EC4509.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's a hard one. Depending on your person opinion on rust. I bought a 02 SE SC for 3k with 230k miles on it. Mine has way more body rust however underneath mine looks similar to your pictures and I'm very confident in mine. As far as engine goes things to look for are : any leaks at all ( oil seals, power steering, coolant) the exhaust manifolds can crack and cause exhaust leaks which will cause problems with fuel economy. Transmission should be smooth still unless they have ran the heck out of it. If it's 4wd obviously you should be able to switch into whatever mode you want to go into easily and everything should run smoothly. The oil seals inside the engine a kind of a hard one to investigate basically time can only tell on that one. It could be burning oil. It's up to you on price. It's not far off but you have to judge for yourself on what's wrong with it. All old cars require maintenance, so don't be surprised if you need to buy a new parts every once in awhile for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Video!
I'm a bit thrown by the rust it looks it surface rust, just really bad. Im not seeing much rot

·
Registered
10 Posts
In the spots that look like super bad rust... take a screwdriver to it and if it penetrates the metal ... then it's not surface.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Called the seller, Well supposedly he was prepping it for his daughter, lots of work done, tie rods, head gaskets, water pump, timing belt, exhaust manifolds... but does need an alignment. Then she got something else. might be a fair deal.
Disappointed it’s 2wd... I was thinking I wanted something to try off-roading in but I’m not sure I’m prepared to risk damaging something that costs $3500 (obo) just to play in the mud.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts