Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I joined this forum so i could educate myself on the Xterra. Iam looking at purchasing a 2000 model for my 16 yr old son, unfortunatley the vehicle has high mileage. Any recommendations regarding what is too high of mileage. I think the Xterra would be good for a new driver, but unsure if I am walking into a nightmare by purchasing an Xterra with 145,000 mi. Any input would be appreciated..

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
how much is the asking price?? what are the specs on it??

·
Registered
189 Posts
just payed $6000 for my 2000 4x4 122,000 v6 auto. bought it in december '07.

also, get the vin and carfax it. thats always a good thing to keep the mind at ease on such a big purchase.

·
Registered
329 Posts
got my 2000 with 65k on it for 8000 :) inexpensive ones are out there, just gotta look for them more often and keep an eye out

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well my Pathfinder had 292K when I bought it, never batted an eye. Runs like a top, someone maintained it properly before me. The mileage really doesn't matter, it's all in how it was cared for. Got my X at 158K, runs great as well. Now if you were buying a Dodge Caravan or a Ford Ranger with 150K, I'd tell you it's all used up and to run the other direction...

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
i paid 8,000 about a year ago for my 2000 w/ 83,000 and it was a awesome compared to other selling at the time in my area... But no worries at only 117,000 there are post about people going over 200,000.. If you but it just MAKE SURE the timing belt/water pump HAS been changed because it should of been done in the 105,000 mile service.. It is an expensive service and it would suck for yo to buy it then put out another 600-1000 just to get it up to date on service...

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2002 has 166,000 on it and is still running strong. Have only had minor problems, water pump( dealer screwed me), fan clutch, and a/c(due to fan clutch). Paid 16,000 for the X with 75,000 on it three years ago. Can't complain.

·
Registered
342 Posts
well take it for a drive make sure everything is good to go, make sure the tranny shifts good, check out the under carriage for any type of frame rust, oil leaks,or any other type of damage, see if the engine has any noises like knocking or vavle tapping, and check the exhaust for smoke, if all checks out well get it for a good price and do a really good tune up like change all the fluids, run a can of sea foam through the engine, and check the coolant and also the timing belt and water pump, remember these are interferance engines and if the timing belt breaks its time for a new engine, don't know if that really helped or not but good luck on the pruchase and your son likes the X.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I don't even have my license yet I have a permit. I showed my parents alot of xterras before they got me a 2000 2wd auto xterra for 6 grand. The a/c don't work. All the ones I looked at the a/cs diudn't work. Mine had 127,00 miles on it and now at 128,000 miles on it the timing belt broke and had to be replaced. I can almost guarantee the a/c won't work. Their v6 is a good engine. I think they great for new drivers because I am a new driver. Good luck with yours.

If it has limited slip you are gonna definitely want to replace the limited slip oil. Don't buy the wrong oil. LSD is watcha wann get. I almost put the wrong oil in once.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well not all of the AC systems are bad. Mine has 160K, and went through a flood, and the AC works great. I did take the belt off though, as the AC clutch idler bearing is noisy, but it really doesn't effect operation. I'll get a new one one of these days.

LSD's take regular oil, plus a tube of friction modifier. The friction modifier helps the clutches in the limited slip slide past each other. If you leave it out, you just end up with a more aggressive limited rear end, which may be undesireable for city driving. If you gas it around a lot of corners, you may feel the rear end hopping around and tires scrubbing at the pavement. It won't make your rear end blow up, however.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I bought mine in 2013 with 110,000 miles on it for $5,400 which included tax and tags. Runs like a champ. Not sure where you are located but definitely check for rust and the usual stuff. Carfax reports are always good to look at as well and any maintenance or service records you can get a hold of. Mine is a 2002 4x4 V6 XE.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well my Pathfinder had 292K when I bought it, never batted an eye. Runs like a top, someone maintained it properly before me. The mileage really doesn't matter, it's all in how it was cared for. Got my X at 158K, runs great as well. Now if you were buying a Dodge Caravan or a Ford Ranger with 150K, I'd tell you it's all used up and to run the other direction...
Funny that you say that. I sold my 92 Pathfinder with 280,000 miles on it. I maintained it poorly but it still ran great. Now I have a 2000 Xterra with 275,000 miles on it but I do maintain it well and it runs great.

My wife drives a Caravan with 265,000 miles on it every day and it is the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned. I also have a spare Caravan with 210,000 miles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bought the 02 4wd SE with 126K in Dec for $5300. VG+ to Ex condition. It needed tires and will need some ball joints and bushings so I'll be at around $6300 in good operating condition. Az & Co owned so very nice underneath. Reported all scheduled maintenance done.

You don't list where you are, is is rust free? 2wd should be at least a grand under 4wd. Sounds high unless it's really excellent.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought a 2002 xterra SE 2wd last month for $3000. It has 178k miles on it. It still runs great. If he wants to do some offroading I recommend a 4wd but my 2wd is just fine on trails and stuff.

I think its a little over priced since how I bought mine for $3000. Try to talk the seller down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Should I?

Going into junior year of college, looking for a car, and I found a 2000 xterra for $2,500 with 230K miles on it. looks to be in perfect condition on the inside and out, showing that it was taken care of very well. The only thing is that the transmission is out. The dealership bought it at an auction, and the transmission gave out off the lot. They are REPLACING it with a used one, and still selling it for $2,500. If everything checks out with a routine checkup, is that kind of mileage doable?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts